Mark 2

"Which is easier to say?" Both, "Your sins are forgiven," and, "Get up," are easy for Jesus. They go hand in hand, too. The power to heal belongs to God along with the power to forgive sins. And in this case, I can't prove if a persons sins are or are not forgiven, but I can tell if he did not get up and walk.

However, I don't know that it is always easy for us to say, "your sins are forgiven," either. Too often I hear from myself, "I forgive you, but . . . ," and then the, "but," is followed by all kinds of threats, warnings, and guilt trips. That's not forgiveness. That's a tongue lashing!

Jesus doesn't say, "Your sins are forgiven, but . . . ." They are simply gone; taken away; transfer ed to Him. And that's where we leave our sins and others sins, too: on Jesus. And we know what He does with them - bears them to the cross.

Jesus was/is passionate about restoring people who sin. Yes, there are times when earthly consequences are necessary and right in response to what people have done. But Jesus goes to people who are experiencing the judgement of others (like the tax collectors and "sinners) to tell them the good news. They know they need a savior. Jesus wants them (and us) to know that He is the one!

I pray that when I forgive someone, it helps them to know that Jesus loves them, and does not become an opportunity to beat them up all over again.

Comments