Mark 9

There is a lot in this chapter! I want to dig into this one question. “Who is the greatest?”

Can you imagine a bunch of grownups arguing, “I’m the greatest!” “No, I am.” “I’m the favorite.” “Well, I do more than you!”

Sounds pretty childish, doesn’t it? I don’t think it is usually that crass, but often we over estimate our “greatness.” It comes across in statements like, “I didn’t deserve . . .” or “You think I’d get a little more respect around here!” Maybe it’s displayed, not in words, but in actions. The litter on the floor is someone else’s job to pick up and we don’t take a half-second to pick it up. You leave stuff in the sink because you’re too busy, and that other person can take care of it. Maybe it’s in the way we treat other people: condescending, not respecting their gifts, thoughts, ideas, or taking offense when they dare to ask us hard questions.

Each of us wants to be the greatest. Each of us wants to be bullet proof. Each of us wants to be the special one.

I find it ironic that Peter, James and John could have been part of this conversation having only recently experienced the Transfiguration. But this reflects a sort of spiritual superiority that we sometimes try to claim. Again, we’re the greatest and the unwashed multitudes . . .

There was only one person there who could claim the spot of greatest. He was the guy that miraculously became radiant with intensely white clothes on the mountain and talked with Moses and Elijah – two of the great heroes of the Bible. Jesus was the one the voice in the cloud claimed as, “My beloved Son.” And does he look at the disciples and say, “You’re all wrong! I’m the greatest!”

Nope.

He takes a child and places him in front of these childish men. “If you want to be first, you must become last and serve everyone. Whoever welcomes even child in my name welcomes me, and if you welcome me, you welcome God.” (paraphrased)

Greatness in the Kingdom of God is about serving others, patiently, lovingly.

“OKAY, GET OUT THERE! HUMBLE YOURSELF. SERVE! SERVE! SERVE!” Hold on, Cowboy! First, be served. Jesus is the greatest because he came not to be served but to serve. Let him set the priority.

We need the service of the cross. We need Jesus forgiveness and his life to fill us. Then, because he served us – we go serve.

It’s an act of love. Jesus’ love to us, and then Jesus love – through us – to others.

Comments

char494 said…
This spoke a lot to me. Thank you for your insight on these passages. I struggle with the serving and being served. I seem to be caught either in serving or being served, I'd like to find the happy medium. I think I will be spending more time reflecting in these passages. I feel another spiritual 2X4 coming - lol.