1 Peter 3

This chapter raises a question in my mind: What do they see?

What do people see when they see me as a Christian? Do they see outward adornment? Do they see a good show? Do they see respect and honor given to others? Do they see sympathy, brotherly love, tender heartedness or humility? Do they see someone who loves?

Hopefully each of us displays the godly characteristics Peter talks about here. The way we live our lives is a witness to the world. Our relationship to our spouse, the way we dress ourselves, the demeanor we display, and the choices we make all testify regarding our faith and hope. And if you are like me as you read that a thought may have swept through your brain, “Rats! My life is a mess and there is no way it can be a good witness to people!”

This is one of the greatest frustrations of the Christian life. Call it hypocrisy, weakness, immaturity – whatever you like – but we do not live up to the salvation we’ve received.

But perhaps there is something else to think about here. Is our witness about ourselves? We have an amazing ability to take God’s gifts and treat them as thought they were all about us. Perhaps the witness we present when we fail is as important as the witness we present when we get it right.

We have to start with the right foundation in our witness, and Peter gives it in v. 18 – Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, . . . .

Being a Christian is not about being perfect. Being a Christian begins with what God has done for us. If we were sinless we would not need Jesus. Our witness begins with a recognition: I was so sinful, fallen and broken that I couldn’t come to God, so Jesus came to me and died for me so that I can live and He brings me to God.

Receiving that kind of love certainly makes us want to, “do better,” in our behavior. At the same time, when we are rooted in that truth it helps to keep us humble, gentle, and sympathetic. But more than all that starting with Jesus’ forgiveness takes the pressure off of me for salvation and moves my motivation to a loving response.

Sharing our faith begins with this conviction: I am forgiven.

Peter ties that forgiveness to baptism here, and there is a great image to hold on to. We have been washed. We did not wash ourselves. We were washed. This is one of the reasons I love infant baptism – they contribute nothing to what is happening! We contribute nothing to our salvation, too, but we sure want to think that we do!

Let our witness be about what has been done for us. Focus in the right place – Jesus died to bring us to God; our sins are removed in Jesus’ resurrection. Then let that permeate ever other part of our life so that when people see us they see forgiveness.

Comments