2 Corinthians 7

“Since we have these promises, . . .” That’s an important place to start when we think of our lives as Christians. We spend a lot of time thinking about how we should live, how we should act, what we should do, and the like. To many people that behavior must be what sets us apart as Christians. This is probably why one of the charges we hear most often as God’s people is that we are hypocrites. That’s because for the world, and for many Christians, they think that the place to start in defining what makes us different is our outward behavior.

Paul begins with promises. And he’s not talking about promises that we’ve made. These are God’s promises to us: That He will dwell with us; that we will be His people; that our sins are forgiven for Jesus’ sake; that we too will rise from the dead as Jesus did.

Christian life begins and ends with what God has done for us.

Now am I saying that what we do and how we live don’t matter? No, not exactly. As Paul goes on in this chapter he talks about godly grief. He talks about not regretting that the letter we call 1 Corinthians hurt them, because it brought about genuine repentance in the people, and he talks about earnestness, eagerness, indignation, fear, longing, zeal, and proving. Our outward lives do matter. They are a witness to those who do not know, love and follow Jesus and an encouragement to those who do. Our lives and actions give glory to God and are lived in service to Him. The things we do matter.

However, the things we do matter because of the promises of God. We begin and end with His promises, and these change us. The Holy Spirit is at work calling us, making us wise unto salvation, revealing God’s love to us, and empowering us to live in promises of things we have not yet seen our experienced. And we are certain because God is the one making the promises!

I’ve always thought it ironic when people have called me a hypocrite in the past. How can a person who confesses week after week, “I a poor miserable sinner confess unto Thee all my sins and iniquities with which I have ever offended Thee,” sins of thought, word and deed, sins done and things left undone, be a hypocrite? Not that there isn’t hypocrisy and duplicity in my life! There is. But the heart and core of my faith is that I am not consistent. I am broken. I don’t live the way I’m supposed to. I make promises and break them. I don’t do the things I should, and many of the things I do, I shouldn’t. In short: I am a sinner.

But for some reason beyond my understanding, God loves me – and all of us sinners. And Jesus came to die for my sins, and He rose from the dead so I can be certain of that love and forgiveness. And now, by the Holy Spirit’s work in my life I hold on to the promises – “I am your God. You are My child. I have forgiven you.” Not because I am worthy, but because He said so . . . and that changes everything.

Comments