John 10

One of the things that is both wonderful and difficult about having a large family is the level of sound when we are all home. It’s wonderful because of the life and energy in our house. It’s difficult because sometimes you can’t even hear yourself think. It’s hard to hold a conversation. All the sound drowns out the words that are spoken.

In John 10, Jesus talks about being a shepherd – the Good Shepherd. This is an Old Testament image for God. Psalm 23 is a great example of this: “The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. . .” Shepherds were the cowboys of their day. They walked the pastures, slept outdoors with their sheep, watched over their flocks by night, etc. They got to know the sheep, and the sheep got to know them. They became familiar with their shepherd, and listened to his voice. Sheep will come when their shepherd calls. Jesus says as much a couple times in this chapter – the sheep hear his voice and follow him.

I sometimes wonder how well we follow the Shepherd. Lately I find myself pondering, “How well do we hear the Shepherd?”

It seems to me that many of our lives are like my house when the kids are over-tired and fighting. They’re loud. We run from on “emergency” to the next. Many of those “emergencies” are trivial, and while we’re chasing after them many of the important things we need to do slip to the wayside. We start seeing all sorts of things around us that are unraveling, need attention, and sense that there isn’t time. Our lives become frantic: going, doing, running, working until we collapse. Often it seems like something is missing.

It’s the Shepherd’s voice.

Jesus brings a depth of peace to our lives. He makes us safe and gives us spiritual security that is a foundation for our lives. When we’re not hearing him, the thief – the devil – is lying to us, stealing our peace (and more!), and trying to guide us toward where he can kill and destroy us. (How often have you heard a person, maybe you, say of their life, “I’m killing myself with all the stuff I’m doing.”?)

It is essential that we learn to hear the Shepherd’s voice. Finding quiet time and listening to Jesus speak to us in the Word is an important part of that. Spending time quietly listening to Him as he feeds and strengthens us with his love, comes first. Then he starts transforming our hearts, minds and priorities so that those reflect his love, too. These have a powerful impact on us.

But how do we learn to hear when it’s loud?

This is a lesson only the Holy Spirit can teach, and it’s a lesson that is taught across our whole lives. I have by no means mastered it. Nor do I expect to, although I hope to become better at it. But here is where it begins: “I am the good shepherd. I know my own . . .” “I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.”

Jesus speaks to us all the time through his word: as we read it and through the bits and pieces that get stuck in our minds and tucked away in our hearts. Even when life is loud, he is still calling us and talking to us to guide us through danger, and to remind us that we are his. Listen for his voice. May the Holy Spirit give us ears to hear!

Comments