John 11

It was all coming to a head. The Pharisees and religious leaders of the Jews had been looking for a reason to arrest Jesus and kill him before chapter 11, but now he does something so undeniably Messiah-ish that they have to up the ante. If people hear about this . . . that Jesus had raised Lazarus from the dead . . . how could they deny?

Not that this was the first person Jesus raised from the dead. Jesus had raised a widow’s son in Nain and Jairus’ daughter, too, but those had happened in the North. These places were far distant from Jerusalem where the priests could simply explain it as wild rumors of the unwashed masses.

Lazarus and his sisters, Mary and Martha, lived in Bethany. They were close. Lazarus was a problem. In fact, we’ll read tomorrow that the Jews plotted to kill Lazarus too.

There is a saying: “Don’t bother me with the facts. I’ve already made up my mind.” The teaching, the miracles, the healings – particularly making the blind see and raising the dead – were signs that should have left these Jewish leaders with the inescapable conclusion that God had sent the savior. Some of them saw it – Nicodemus & Joseph of Aramathea – but on the whole the highest leaders did not. And they wanted Jesus dead.

I don’t completely understand why they refused to see, other than they knew that there was political risk here. The Romans might attack. They might lose their power. And Jesus was not behaving the way they expected the Messiah/Savior to behave. He wasn’t very . . . kingly.

It makes me wonder, though, where am I refusing to “bothered by the facts”? Where am I refusing to submit to who Jesus really is? Where do I remain unchanged by the signs that Jesus is my savior?

I find it interesting, and a little uncomfortable, that Jesus chose – chose – to wait two days when he heard the news that Lazarus was sick. He knew Lazarus would die. He knew Mary and Martha would go through fear, grief and pain. He experienced that himself as he wept at the tomb. I don’t suppose that had Lazarus, Mary and Martha been given the choice, they would have wanted it to work out this way, but would have preferred Lazarus be healed before he spent four days in the tomb, even if they had known Jesus would raise him.

I know I would not have. I’ll take the healing, with a side of peace and happiness please!

Jesus chose to wait. This was for his glory. This was so that we would know God’s love through him. We needed to hear him say to Martha, “I am the resurrection and the life.” We needed to know how important Jesus’ ministry is. It’s a matter of life and death . . . a life again.

Do you ever feel like you’re laying there in the tomb? Life feels dead? Sorrow seems to surround everything? Remember Lazarus, Mary, & Martha. “I am the resurrection and the life.” It may take time that we don’t want to wait, but Jesus will raise you up – perhaps not until the Last Day, but he will raise you – and he will be glorified through you.

Comments