John 21

“I’m goin’ fishing.” When life is difficult and dark sometimes it’s comforting to return to something you know; something you once liked to do. That’s what Peter is doing here. Jesus has appeared to the disciples twice. The disciples know that Jesus alive somehow, but don’t really understand it – and understanding won’t come for at least another month to month-and-a-half when the Holy Spirit comes at Pentecost. (We know it’s been a while since they’ve seen Jesus because this was the third time Jesus appeared to them: the first two appearances are in Jerusalem in the room they ate the last supper in, and now they’re in Galilee about 60 miles away and they traveled on foot.) They are confused and don’t know what to do with themselves. After all, Jesus has been setting the agenda for the last three years and they’ve been following.

Some have said that this little fishing excursion was a sign that these disciples had abandoned their call to follow Jesus. I don’t think that’s the case. I think they just want to do something familiar: to smell the sea air, feel the rocking of the boat, and have a net or rope in their hands. Unfortunately for them (or blessedly depending how you look at it) they didn’t catch anything. So add frustration to the emotions they’re experiencing.

A voice calls to them from the beach, “Children, do you have any fish?”

“No.”

“Cast the net on the right (not left) side of the boat, and you will find some.”

I can imagine their thoughts may have been, “Whatever! ‘Throw it on the right side of the boat!’ I throw John in if it’d help us catch some fish!” They throw the net and voila! the nets are so full they can’t pull them in! And that’s when John says to himself, “Hey, I’ve seen this before!” and he looks at Peter and says, “It’s the Lord!”

Peter jumps in and leaves the catch to get to Jesus. He leaves behind what he thought he wanted – fish – to get to what he needed – Jesus. Impetuous, but wise.

Jesus has everything prepared. Fish are cooking on a bed of coals (showing that Jesus knew how to barbecue!) and he calls for more. Thanks to him, the disciples have them. 153 fish to be exact. (Why 153? I don’t know, but I’m impressed! I’ve never caught 153 fish!) (Jesus fishes and barbecues . . . perhaps this is something we need to explore more closely, but at a different date!)

All of this takes place to set the stage for what happens next – Peter’s reconciliation to Jesus and recommissioning as an apostle.

Take note of how well planned out this is. Jesus did this for Peter. Jesus did this to get Peter’s attention. He had chosen Peter to lead his disciples, and Peter had denied him. He needed to know Jesus’ call to lead the disciples was still there. Following Jesus is about forgiveness not perfection. It’s about loving Jesus because of how much he has loved us.

What is Jesus doing in your life today to get your attention? What is he doing to show you how much he loves you? What is he doing to tell you, “I’ve called you and you are mine. I love you so much that I gave my life for yours. I love you so much I want you to be with me forever. Follow me!”

Dear Jesus, thank you for loving me as your own. Thank you for everything you do to get my attention to show me that even when I fail you still want me. Help me to never lose sight of the cross and empty tomb, and help me to share your death and resurrection with others. Amen.

Comments