1 Timothy 4

When I was growing up one of my chores in the winter was to blow the driveway. Growing up in Northern Michigan, our driveway often drifted in, and it was my job to go out and start the bright red self propelled snow blower with the Tecumseh engine. It had a large opening and a big steel augur in it to chew up that snow and throw snow, and anything else that got into it, out into the yard. I remember my dad teaching me how to use that beast of a machine. He taught me how to start it, change its oil, and all that stuff. I also remember him giving me warnings. “Never put your hand in the chute. Never try to clear a blockage when the engine is running. Don’t try to go too fast.”

I remember thinking, “What kind of idiot would want to put his hand into that!?!?” I also remember times when that chute got blocked up being tempted to just leave the engine running and knock out the snow.

My dad’s warnings and instructions were given as one who had a lot of experience passing on his wisdom to his son with little to no experience.

Paul is doing something similar in chapter 4. He says, roughly, that when you’re working and trying to share the gospel with people there are going to be people that you love and care about who will depart from the faith. They’ll devote themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons, through the insincerity of liars whose consciences are seared.

I read, “deceitful spirits” and “teachings of demons” and I think, “What kind of idiot would want to put his hand into that?” We have the freedom of the Gospel! We have the good news of God’s love for us in Jesus! We know the truth of God’s will because He has revealed it to us in His Word! Why in the world would I or anyone else ever want to pursue anything else? Especially deceitful demonic teachings?

But Paul was a man who had a lot of experience, and he passed his wisdom to his son in the faith, and to us, because he knew the temptation to make our faith about what we do as opposed to what God has done for us. Sound doctrine puts its hope fully on the living God, who it the Savior of all people, especially those who believe.

All the comments about being a good servant of Jesus Christ, having nothing to do with irreverent, silly myths, training yourself for godliness, setting an example in speech, conduct, love, faith, and purity, etc. root themselves back to this one truth: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners – and we are they!

So we strive and practice being godly. It doesn’t mean we always succeed, but we keep doing it. Not to earn God’s love or to receive his blessings. We do it because we have been loved, and we continue to be loved and blessed. And once again Paul warns – “don’t neglect the gift you have.” We know that we have a great ability to twist our faith and make it about us. Stay focused on the true teaching of God’s salvation in Jesus.

Father, thank you for the salvation you have given to me through Jesus’ death and resurrection, and for teaching me the truth of what He has done for me. I have sometimes made my faith about what I think, or what I would like. Please forgive me and help me to cling to the words of faith and the good doctrine You teach in Your Word. Help me to set a good example in speech, conduct, love, faith and purity today, that my life may give you glory. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

Comments