1 Timothy 6

Godliness. The Merriam-Webster dictionary says that this is the state of being godly, piousness, or devoutness. Why is it that when I hear this word, phrases like, “goody two-shoes” “holier than thou” “prudish” or “uptight” come to mind?

God urges us to pursue godliness in 1 Timothy 6. There has been a strong father-son current throughout the book, and this fits in with it. God is our Heavenly Father. To be godly is to be like Him; to love what He loves, to behave justly, and to walk humbly with Him. It’s something that doesn’t seem to be fashionable in our world. Nor did it seem to be stylish in Timothy’s, hence Paul’s words.

Sound doctrine – that is teachings that are solid and true – was what Paul urged Timothy to teach. He goes on to describe the motives of other teachers who are not teaching true godliness. They are puffed up with conceit, understand nothing, have unhealthy cravings for controversy and love quarrels about minutia. They produce envy, dissension, slander, suspicion and friction. For them, behavior that looks godly is a means to an end – a way to get what they want.

Paul is telling Timothy – and us – don’t look godly. Be godly.

So back to my prejudiced preconceived notion of what godliness is. Godliness is not merely a set of behaviors that make us look different or (God forbid!) better than other people. Godliness is a state of heart. It goes back to Paul’s conviction in 1 Timothy 1:15, “Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost.” As the hymnist has written, “Chief of sinners though I be, Jesus shed His blood for me!”

In our sin we are separated from God and our hearts accuse us, but in Jesus’ death our relationship with our Heavenly Father is restored and our hearts can be at peace. Think about it for a second: Things like envy, dissension, suspicion all flow from hearts that are fearful, unsettled, and in turmoil. Jesus’ takes the reason for the fear, turmoil and accusation away, and he settles us back with God so our hearts can be at peace.

Godly behavior begins and is rooted in the faith that Jesus has cleansed our hearts so that we can know, love and follow God. And as we spend time with Jesus in the Word and prayer, as he works in our lives through the Sacraments of Baptism and the Lord’s Supper, he changes the rhythm of our heartbeat to match His own – to match the Father’s – and that results in changed behavior a.k.a. godliness. It all goes back to Jesus’ love and forgiveness. Always.

Lord Jesus, thank you for loving me and coming into this world to save sinners like me. I don’t always like to claim that title, “sinner,” and often I try to minimize my sin, help me to see the truth of my condition and let it lead me to awe of how much you love me. Then, by the Spirit’s power, let me share the power of that love and forgiveness with others today. Amen.

Comments