Romans 10

“Because it’s better.” Have you ever had someone encourage you to use their product by blunt enough to just flat out say, “Because it’s better.”

That’s what Paul does, in a manner of speaking, in Romans 10. He is speaking specifically of the Jews’ relationship to God and the Law. Remember, that Paul himself had labored under this idea and now testifies for the zealousness of his people. He is not looking down his nose at them, but he wants them to know the truth. He continues to teach that a right relationship with God cannot be had by working harder, doing better, or living according to the law. A right relationship with God comes only in Christ, through faith. That’s the only way to receive the powerful working of the Gospel; faith!

I’m not here to pick on the Jews of Paul’s time – or of our own for that matter. However, the lessons for God’s people back then, are still lessons for God’s people today. I’m concerned about us Christians who, having been saved by God’s mercy and grace, now try to make our life about good works, instead of letting our lives be focused on faith and letting good works come as natural fruit.

I remember visiting an old lady in the nursing home. She was very upset. Her health was deteriorating, she wanted to die, and she felt trapped. She asked me, “Pastor, what did I do to deserve this?” She went on to tell of all the wonderful things she had done to serve God: she contributed money to build a seminary in Africa, served on the altar guild, helped with mission work in the U.S., took her children to church and Sunday school, etc. And now, she felt hard done by. “Why did God let this happen to me?”

Why did she think she deserved better? Because of what she had done. The sad reality is we all fall into this way of thinking. It’s natural. It’s ingrained. You work hard and you get what you deserve.

But that’s not how God works. Jesus got what we deserve when he died on the cross. He worked hard and lived perfectly his whole life to give us his own perfection – his own righteousness. Faith is what receives that righteousness, and we do not earn it. Instead, we work hard because we got what we do not deserve.

I keep thinking of Romans 1:16-17 as we work through the rest of the book – I am not ashamed of gospel for it is the power of God for salvation . . . for the righteousness of God has been revealed completely and totally by faith. We see it again here. It’s not what we do, but what Jesus did that gives us salvation. That is gospel – Good News!

Paul has one other concern here in chapter 10. How will other people find out about this good news? My prayer for today is rooted in v. 15. May we be so convinced of this righteousness that is ours through faith that we carry the message to others. I hope we have beautiful feet today.

Father, your good news is amazing! It is incredible that I have a right relationship with you through faith in Jesus. Sometimes my focus drifts to the things I do in your service, and I begin to think your love and blessings come to me because of what I do. When that happens help me remember – “by faith for faith.” My righteousness is received from you completely by faith. Fill my mind and heart with the wonder of that truth, and then as I go about my day give me beautiful feet as I share that good news with my family, friends, and others for Jesus’ sake. Amen.

Comments