Romans 11

Reading this chapter, I was caught by verse 20 where Paul says, “So do not become proud, but stand in awe.”

“Stand in awe.” Merriam-Webster defines awe this way, “an emotion variously combining dread, veneration, and wonder that is inspired by authority or by the sacred or sublime.” This is what Job experienced when God questioned him, and he answered, “Behold, I am of small account; what shall I answer you? I lay my hand on my mouth.” In other word, “I’m just going to shut up now.”

Proverbs says that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. I have often wrested with the idea that we should fear the Lord. More often than not we talk about loving God. What does fear have to do with love? But in this case I don’t think they’re mutually exclusive. When Luther wrote the Small Catechism, explaining the Ten Commandments he wrote of each, “We should fear and love God so that . . .”

Fear and love combined might be a good picture of awe. God in his holiness always strikes fear in to people’s hearts, so Isaiah cried out, “Woe is me!” when he saw the Lord in the temple, and John fell as a dead man when he saw the risen Christ in glory. But this same God chooses to veil his glory and dwell among us, to never leave us or forsake us, to forgive our sins, and to prepare an eternal home for us in his presence because he loves us.

As Paul considers the salvation Jesus has given to us he cries out in wonder: “Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! For who has known the mid of the Lord, or who has been his counselor? Or who has given a gift too him that he might be repaid? For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.”

Let’s join him today. Be still for a moment and be amazed. God love you so much that he gave Jesus to redeem you! God entered this world in human flesh and lived with us! God has promised, “I am with you always.” He says, “I have loved you with an everlasting love.”

Wow!

Lord Jesus, I am in awe that you left glory to live among us sinful people and to save us. Thank you! Sadly, as I go through the troubles and tasks of life I often lose that awe, and lose the joy you have given me in my salvation. Remind me. Help me hear your voice and lead me so that my life will display the wonder of what you have done for me. Amen.

Comments