Romans 2

I grew up in the church. I was baptized at about 1 month old. I do not remember a time that I did not know God’s love and forgiveness in my life. That being said, it would be wrong to say that I was born a Christian. In the Psalms, King David says that he was both born and conceived in sin. Me too. We too.

In the last half of Romans 1, Paul teaches how far away people get from God in our sin and how God “gave them up in the lust of their heart.” He let them have the wicked things they wanted piling sin upon sin. He talks about idolatry, homosexuality, violence, disobedience, and more. When we read this there is a temptation for us to look and say, “Go get ‘em, Paul! Nail those unrighteous, perverted, wicked, naughty, so-and-sos! They deserve God’s wrath!”

Paul wants to be clear. They do deserve God’s wrath. So do we.

Growing up in the church, I knew that it was wrong to steal. I knew that it was wrong to kill, to lust, to not honor my parents, to speak poorly of others, to curse, swear and lie. I was a good boy . . . mostly . . . at least in my opinion. And my opinion of me was pretty high. High enough that I could look right down my nose as those Romans 1 type of people! (Have you been there? Do I recognize you from standing on high in judgment with me?)

Paul says, “No way! You don’t get a free pass for being, ‘good.’ Especially not just good compared to other people!” The standard is perfection. To break one piece of the Law is to shatter the entire thing. And what is worse is when the truth of the sin in our hearts shows through the veneer of our outward show the name of God is blasphemed among the unbelievers.

The life of faith is not primarily about our outward acts. It’s not about looking good to other people. It’s about the heart, humbled and broken before God, trusting solely in Him as our savior. Knowing our brokenness leads us to more powerfully know God’s love. Knowing God’s love leads us to desire to follow Him in our lives.

Jesus did not die for us because we were pretty good, but had a few rough spots that needed a little mending. He died for us because we were broken, lost, dead in sin, and he loved us too much to leave us there. And it’s there in his love that we – forgiven and redeemed – begin to choose to follow him sharing his love and hope with others. It might look like anyone else’s good behavior, but in the heart it’s different because it is rooted in God’s gospel – the power of salvation by faith.

Father, thank you for your Law. I don’t always like what it says about me, but help me know the truth of my sinful condition so that I can also know the awesomeness of your love in Jesus’ death and resurrection. Help me share that powerful good news with others so they can know your love and follow you, too. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

Comments