Romans 9

Paul’s passion for the lost was great. I think that was because he remembered what it was to be lost, to go in the wrong direction, and to receive mercy. He wanted so badly for his fellow Jews to believe in Jesus that he wished that he could trade places with them. He was willing to lose his salvation that they might have theirs.

His passion for the rest of the world was no less strong. He traveled all over the northern Mediterranean region to proclaim the good news of God’s love and salvation in Jesus Christ. He endured much, gave up comfort and security, was in danger, and eventually was executed for the sake of bringing the powerful gospel to new areas so that people would be saved by faith in Jesus.

God calls people from every background to believe in Jesus. He saves people from every skin tone, ethnic persuasion, socio-economic group, moral persuasion, sexual orientation, and hair color. (And I mean every hair color – even bubble gum pink!)

Paul quotes the prophet Hosea and reminds us that God looked and saw people who were “not my people” – people who had no proper tribe, no place in God’s family, no home in heaven – and he called them, “my people.” He claimed them. He claimed us! Once again, salvation is about what God does and not about our actions or behaviors. The power of salvation is fully by faith through the power of the God’s work through Jesus cross and empty tomb.

Some who read this will ask, “Well, why did these people become his people, but not these? Why are these ones saved, but not those? God must be unjust! There is no hope, and it’s all a roll of the dice if you are saved or not!” Not so! That is the wrong question. The right question is, “How did anyone come to be saved?” And the answer is because God is merciful and he loves his created people.

Here are some other good questions: Do you know who is out there waiting to hear the good news so that they can be saved? Do you know who will be transformed by the Gospel and who will reject it? Do you know how God can use you to bring salvation to those who are “not my people”?

How about this one: How great is your passion for the lost? (I ask myself the same question, and I don’t always like the answer. My passion is far too lukewarm.) How much would you endure, give up, and risk in order to reach them? (Again, I’m not sure I like my own answer.)

However we might feel on this right now, God is passionate. He wants all people to be saved and come to believe in Jesus. And he will use us to take people from being “not my people” to becoming “my people.” In the process, my prayer is that he will make me (and you) more passionate about bringing people to know, love and follow Jesus.

Lord, thank you for your incredible mercy and for adopting me into your family. Forgive me for my complacency and lukewarm feelings regarding your passion for those who are “not my people.” Fill me with your love for people and fill me with compassion for those who have no heavenly home. Use me in your service to show the power of your mercy and salvation in my life today. In Jesus’ name; Amen.

Comments