Matthew 11

What happens when our preconceived notions run into God’s reality? Often Jesus seems to be confronting people with their ideas of how we are saved, what it means to be good, why God loves us, and much more. Today it’s John the Baptist who is wondering, “Are you the one who is to come, or shall we look for another?”

John saw the Spirit descend as a dove and heard the Father’s voice. He testified that Jesus was the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world. But sitting alone in a prison cell he wonders: Is this how this is supposed to work? If he is the one, why am I here?

Jesus’ message to John was pretty straight forward. “Tell him what you hear and see.”

Fast-forward to after Jesus’ ascension and Pentecost. Two of his disciples stand before the Sanhedrin – the Jewish High Court – for proclaiming salvation in Jesus’ name. They are Peter and John, and they’ve been commanded to no longer speak or teach at all in the name of Jesus. “But Peter and John answered them, “Whether is right in the sight of God to listen to you rather than to God, you must judge, for we cannot but speak of what we have seen and heard.”

“Go and tell John what you hear and see . . . .” “We cannot but speak of what we have seen and heard.”

What if sharing the Good News of God’s love and Jesus’ salvation is that simple? Tell them what you have seen and heard.

I sometimes wonder if we don’t make sharing God’s love more difficult than it is meant to be. On the other hand if Peter and John couldn’t help but speak of what they’d seen and heard, could it be that we’re not seeing or hearing? And if not is it because God has stopped showing us and speaking to us about his love? (Certainly not!) Or is it because Amos’ “famine for hearing the Word of the Lord” is upon us?

I become more and more convinced that to live the life of faith we need to daily be in God’s Word and Prayer. I am more and more certain that as we live with God in the Word and Sacraments that he will show us his love, help us see what he is doing to work out his plan of salvation today, and empower us to play our role in that plan. I am more and more convicted that by not being in the Word and Prayer we cut ourselves off from the power of God to do his Work.

Jesus calls us to take his yoke upon us. He wants us to work on his team, and he indicates that his work gives us rest. A yoke was used to connect animals together to work together. We are connected to Jesus in this work, and the power to pull is really his. We are united with him through Baptism, the Lord’s Supper, and the Word as we receive forgiveness, life and salvation. These are all his gifts to us. Now what if we lived united with him – trusting in His forgiveness and power – and simply spoke of what we’ve seen and heard?

Father, thank you for uniting me with Jesus. I have often wanted to do things my own way, and made my life more difficult than it needed to be. I’ve made sharing your good news more difficult than you intended it to be. Help me to see what you are doing in my life. Help me to hear your Word to me. Help me to not be able to help but speak of what I’ve seen and heard in You. Amen.

Comments