Matthew 15

Eating is an important part of our lives. It is a strange situation that while much of the world starves and wonders where their food will come from, here in North America we have so much food that we have to deal with obesity and eating disorders. While some places deal with malnutrition from a lack of food, we deal with a different kind of malnutrition; one that stems from eating too much and the wrong kinds of food. Of course, it’s not the food’s fault. There are many reasons that people go hungry, just as there are many reasons behind the various disorders and over eating we see in our lives. However, we cannot deny that food is a central part of our lives.

In Matthew 15, Jesus has three encounters around food that he uses to show us some important truths about ourselves and God’s love for us.

In verses 1-20, Jesus has another run in with the Pharisees and scribes. Once again He and the disciples have transgressed one of the traditions that have been set up to keep people from breaking one of God’s commands. This one had to do with washing their hands when they eat. This sounds a little odd in my ears, having grown up hearing, “Dinner time! Go wash your hands!” all throughout my childhood, and now I get to be the one summoning my family with those words sometimes. What does Jesus have against hand washing?!?

The problem is not with the hand washing itself. (So please: soap, hot water, scrub for 20 seconds!) The problem is thinking that washing one’s hands before we eat makes us morally clean. Jesus wants us to understand that what we eat doesn’t make us morally clean or unclean – but what comes out of our heart does! Our relationship with God is not about following the right formulas, or observing the correct rites. It’s about God’s love and mercy for people with dirty hands who know the state of their hearts so they cry out as David did, “Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me!” We need cleansing alright – and no amount of ritual or effort on our part can accomplish that cleansing. And that is why Jesus had come to cleanse us from our sins by washing us with his blood. (A strange image, until you think that some messes need certain cleansers to clean them up. I can’t get rust off of my bath tub with dish soap. There is only one thing that can wash my sin away. Nothing but the blood of Jesus.)

In verse 21-28 Jesus and the disciples encounter a Canaanite woman with great faith. It’s a strange encounter, but the woman makes a remarkable statement about dogs eating the crumbs that fall from their masters’ table that grabs our attention. At least it grabbed Jesus’ attention! He healed the Canaanite’s daughter after hearing her! The question this raises in my mind is this: How great are God’s blessings? They are immense! So much so that even if we were only to receive the crumbs, they would more than satisfy our need.

Often we want a margin of padding on our blessings. God gives us enough, but perhaps not so much that we begin to trust in the blessing instead of the One who Blesses. The One who Blesses is what matters here.

Then in verses 29-39, Jesus feeds a crowd of 4000 men, plus women and children. The menu was bread and fish again, and again there were leftovers: 7 large baskets full. Jesus once again tends both the physical and spiritual need of his people, even as he continues to do today as we trust him to make us clean, and to bless us sufficiently for this life and the next.

Father in Heaven, thank you for food. Thank you for nourishing me physically and spiritually. I do not always appreciate that nourishment, or receive it rightly. Help me to see in your earthly provision for my life that you love me, and help me to remember that you have provided also for my forgiveness and salvation, too. Then help me to trust You so that as I live in faith my life will be a witness to people around me so that they can receive Your blessings with thanksgiving, too. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

Comments