Matthew 6

God sees things differently than we do. Our human nature would teach us to do things for recognition, to do things to impress others (even God), to get all that we can, and it’s only too natural for us to spend a lot of time fretting over food and clothes. But Jesus gives a different view.

- Giving to the poor? Do it quietly! God knows what you’re doing!

- Praying? Do it simply! And ask for the right stuff. (And he gives us the Lord’s Prayer to show us the right stuff – kingdom stuff.)

- Fasting? Who is it for? If it’s for you and for God, why does anyone else need to know?

- Gaining wealth? Congratulations! Don’t let it become the center of your life so that it pulls you away from God.

- Worry? How does it help?

The heart of this reading, and really the whole Sermon on the Mount is found here in v. 32, “. . . you heavenly father knows that you need them all.”

Your Heavenly Father knows what you need. Your Heavenly Father loves you. Your Heavenly Father will provide and has provided for you.

Look back over the things Jesus has talked about so far: what it looks like to be blessed, fulfilling the Law, Anger, Sex, Marriage, Speaking the truth, Retaliation, how to treat your enemies, Giving, Praying, Fasting, Gaining Wealth, and Anxiety. All of these are things we can lay at our Father’s feet knowing that he has provided for us, he has a plan for. As God says through Jeremiah (29:11), “I know the plans I have for you; plans for your good not evil, plans to give you hope and a future.” (Paraphrased).

One of the root issues in our sin is that we do not trust the Father’s love for us. Many of us still look at him and think, “If I do this than God will bless me,” as if our relationship with God was quid pro quo. Too often we think along the lines of Adam and Eve in the Garden, “God must be holding something back. He gave these rules to keep me down!” As if God were some kind of cosmic killjoy. We doubt the Father’s love so we waste our time and energy on flowery words in our prayers (I have to say it just right!), getting what we want (while God gives us what we need!), or worrying that I won’t have what I need for life (consider the lilies!).

How can we be certain, though, that the Father loves us and will provide what we need?

Look at the guy whose sermon we are reading. Who is he? Jesus. God so loved you and me that he gave his one and only Son. Jesus stepped out of eternity into time, he became one of us, and he died for us. (Greater love has no man than this; that he lay down his life for his friend.) And now we also have the Holy Spirit creating faith in us; guiding and comforting us as a guarantee!

And here’s something else that’s amazing: When we live in the Father’s love, it sets us free from all that stuff to, “seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.” When we are freed from our bondage to earthly things through Jesus’ death and resurrection, we will see much more clearly how God has provided for this life as well so we can joyful, “thank and praise, serve and obey Him. This is most certainly true.”

Father in Heaven, I am amazed at how much you love me. I do not always trust you love, and therefore end up wasting my energy on things that will spoil or rust, but you keep on loving me, just the same. Help me to receive your love. Help me to be thoroughly convinced through Jesus’ death and resurrection that you love me, and then help me to love you in response. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.

Comments