Romans 16

As Paul finishes his letter to the Romans he sends out a list of greetings to individuals in Rome. Most of the names are unfamiliar, although we might recognize a few of them. Prisca (aka Priscilla) and Aquila were tent makers who worked with Paul and supported him as he went on his missionary journeys. They are also the ones who explained the Gospel to another evangelist, a man named Apollo who Paul talks about in 1 Corinthians. The other name that might be familiar is Rufus. When Mark wrote his gospel, he mentions that the man who helped carry Jesus’ cross was named Simon he was, “the father of Alexander and Rufus.” We’re not sure if this is the same Rufus, but, really, how many famous Rufuses can there be?

Paul also gives some final instructions: watch out for those who cause divisions, make sure your doctrine is pure, and be wise in what is good and innocent.

However, what grabs my attention is how Paul leaves the matter. “The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet.” “Now to him who is able to strengthen you according to my gospel . . . .” Even in the end he brings this whole matter back to what God does. The gospel is power that works and is received fully and completely by faith. It’s not what we do it’s what God does that gives us salvation.

Now there might be a temptation in that statement to say, “If it’s about what God does and I don’t do anything, then that’s exactly what I’ll do; NOTHING!” (We are very good at trying to wriggle our way out of things we don’t necessarily want to do!)

Notice what Paul says, “The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet.” For him to do that, your feet have got to be there! God’s choice is to work through our lives so that others will see the power of the Gospel. That is a great privilege! Our salvation is meant to be seen by the way we live, and by our sharing the power of God for salvation. God’s salvation through Jesus’ death and resurrection works its way out in our lives. Remember, that power is what created faith in you, and it will create faith in others, too! You are the means God chooses to deliver his power as you carry the Word and Sacraments in your heart!

So all the glory goes to God, but he rejoices in us as he honors us by working through our lives.

Father, thank you for the privilege of being your messenger. I don’t want to be in the spot light, especially when it comes to revealing that I am a sinner, but as you pour out your forgiveness on me build me up so that I rejoice that my life shows your salvation and the power of the Gospel at work in me. Let others see both the sinner and the saint in me and help me to use those experiences to tell people about Jesus’ cross and resurrection. In his name I pray. Amen.

Comments