Revelation 3

The letters to the churches continue in chapter 3

SARDIS: Jesus says, “I know your works. You have the reputation of being alive, but you are dead.” What a painful statement! There works are incomplete! So he calls on them (and, remember, these letters are to us today, too!) to remember and repent. Remember the message of Jesus’ love and sacrifice. Repent and turn away from this world, turning back to Jesus. Is it possible that we have the same reputation as Sardis; looking alive but being dead? Have the outer forms become more important than the inner substance of God’s work in us?

PHILIADELPHIA: Jesus recognizes how weak they’ve become through the batterings of temptation, persecution and troubles. He praises them for keeping His word about patient endurance, and promises that he will save them from those who worship Satan (false gods and false religion) and are the devil’s tools. How weak are we? Are there open doors around us that we cannot step through because we have lost our strength; opportunities to serve that we cannot take advantage of because we are too frail?

LAODICEA: Laodicea receives probably the most painful letter. “I know your works; you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! So because you are lukewarm, . . . I will spit you out of my mouth.” They are ambivalent about their faith. They think everything is great. They feel they are rich, prosperous, and self-sufficient, but Jesus sees them as wretched, pitiable, poor, blind and naked. He calls them to turn back to him, he is disciplining them and getting in their face for their lack of love and passion and he calls them to repent – to change the way they think and act in light of what he has done for them. He stands and the door and knocks. Will he be allowed it?

There is a progression to the sin in these letters which stands as a warning. Everything in this book has to do with Jesus, his salvation, and living in that salvation in this world. Starting with Ephesus, Jesus’ letters serve as a warning of a slippery slope.

1. Christians lose their first love – their passion for our God and Savior.

2. Fear creeps into our lives and we’re not willing to stand for the faith.

3. We begin to tolerate false teachings.

4. Toleration moves to acceptance and maybe even approval.

5. We look alive on the outside, but our hearts are dead.

6. We lose the power to take advantage of the ministry opportunities the Lord Jesus gives us.

7. We become blind to our lukewarm pitiful condition, and are self-deluded in our relationship with God.

Notice that in all of these circumstances Jesus never turns away from his people. He always “assumes” they will overcome. He confronts them and disciplines them because he love them, and he wants them to have a strong and vibrant life in him. After all, he is the same Jesus who said, “I have come that they may have life and have it in abundance.”

Has Jesus been confronting and disciplining you in some way? It’s not much fun, but remember he loves you. He wants you to have a full and abundant life, so he is poking at the things that keep you from it. He is on your side, and is rooting for you to be an overcomer, and in the power of the Spirit you will be!

Lord Jesus, because you love me you confront my sin and call me to repentance. Help me to see where my love has grown cold, or where I’ve been fearful. Help me to see where I am on that slippery slope you revealed to the churches. Help me to repent and be renewed in love for you. Fill me with your Spirit so that I may be a faithful witness and answer the door when you knock at my heart. Then let my life and all the things you have done in me bring glory to the Father. Amen.

Comments