Luke 12

“Do not be anxious.” Did those words jump off the page for you the same way they did for me? Do you find yourself anxious about many things?

I find there are often things that seem to gnaw at the edges of my mind. These are things I cannot control, and I’m having a hard time handing them over to God and just letting them be. So, for instance, we need to Call a new teacher to serve in our school. Who will we find? Will she work out? Will she fit in? How will the parents receive her? Will she do a good job teaching? Will she have a heart that reflects the Lord to her students? None of these things are bad to wonder about, but to have them constantly swirling in my mind is not good. The school is God’s school. He will provide.

Often I find that the things I am anxious about are small. I’m anxious about what people will think. I’m anxious about how events will turn out. I’m anxious about getting my work done. I’m anxious about . . . a slew of silly things.

Other people have big things that they’re anxious about. I know a person who is preparing to be sentenced to jail. I know people who are waiting for results from medical tests. I know people who know the results – bad results – and they’re anxious about what they mean. I know spouses who are anxious for their beloved.

What do you do about anxiety?

Jesus encourages us to take a bigger perspective. Look at what God has done. Do you think He can handle this? Jesus says to look at the ravens and consider the lilies. God provides for them. Aren’t you more valuable?

Often when we are anxious people will encourage us to pray more or to read the Bible more. These are good exercises, but remember it’s not the doing of a thing which relieves our fears and doubts. It is the God whom we pray to, and whom we encounter in the Bible who has to power to give us peace and security. It’s not the act of reading, nor the effort to pray, but the faithfulness of God which enables us to look at the world, see all the pitfalls and sorrows, and still be confident.

Remember Joseph, who suffered in slavery and prison, but found that God was using his life to save many. Recall Job who lost everything – everything except his faith in God – and how God used him as an example of His divine protection and provision. Remember the many people Jesus healed from illnesses. Remember the many, many, people Jesus has led safely home to heaven, “where no thief approaches and no moth destroys.”

Treasure the gift that God has given you in Jesus when you are anxious. Certainly we can cling to our Father in prayer and be strengthened by the Spirit through His Word. Surely we can trust the One who gave His very life for us to see us safely through this world and to provide for us.

Father, thank you for giving me all that I need for this life. Sometimes I act like my future depends on me, help me to see where to use my talents and abilities in your service and to trust in your for all that I need. Give me peace – peace that I can share with others – that has nothing to do with what I physically have, but instead is rooted in what You have done for me for Jesus’ sake. Amen.

Comments