Luke 17

Temptation is a part of life in this world. That’s all there is to it. Jesus says it very plainly, “It is not possible that stumbling blocks will not come, but woe to the one through whom they come!” (My translation.) Note the double negative – it is not possible that they will not come. Jesus is being emphatic.

The consequence of being the tempter is huge. It’s the first century version of fitting someone with concrete shoes. Down they go to drown, with no hope of getting free. This highlights how seriously Jesus takes sin. So he warns us: There will be temptation/stumbling blocks, so pay attention to yourselves. The word’s are reminiscent of James’ message, “resist the devil and he will flee from you!” or Peters, “the devil prowls like a roaring lion!”

Where do you find temptation in your life? T.V.? The computer? A certain person in the office? Radio? Friends? Are you tempting others to sin through your actions? Pay attention to yourself!

Jesus also urges us to confront sin in our brothers – which is an all inclusive statement of all who believe. When you see a fellow Christian sinning, the loving thing to do is to address it. Jesus says to rebuke them – but remember a rebuke can be given gently and lovingly. Our goal is not to shame the person, but to help them see what they have done so that they can repent and be forgiven.

That makes me wonder how well I respond when people confront me with my sin. How about you? Perhaps it takes some wisdom to tell the difference between someone who is being a busy body and someone who is helping us in our Christian walk.

This passage also highlights to me the importance of talking about sin and grace. It might not be fashionable, and sometimes it brings us down, but the forcefulness of this passage brings home that God takes sin very seriously, and that he very much desires forgiveness for sins. We would be negligent to place all of our attention on v. 2 and the millstone, without focusing in on v. 4 where Jesus say, “if he sins against you seven times in a day, and turns to you seven times, saying, ‘I repent,’ you must forgive him.”

Confronting sin is always done in the hope that the person will repent and be restored. The highlight of our lives should not be to see someone get their comeuppance. We should not be people who look to punish every wrong. There are many religions that teach justice, punishment and even vengeance. Instead, forgiveness is the hallmark of our faith. Just as God, in Jesus, has forgiven us, we want forgiveness to flow to others.

There is much more in this chapter that I’d like to comment on, but it will have to wait. As I looked, it was these first four verses that grabbed me reminding me to keep God’s forgiveness foremost and to share that forgiveness with others.

Father, thank you for forgiving me through Jesus’ death and resurrection. Too often as I deal with other people’s sins, I am slow to share the forgiveness you have given me. Help me to be a forgiving person – not a doormat or a fool (except a fool for Christ) – but let me display your grace and the forgiveness you have given me to others so they can know your love and follow Jesus as their savior. Amen.

Comments