Luke 9

Sometimes reading the same passage in a couple different translations makes the message stand out for the reader. In Luke 9:44 Jesus says, “Let these words sink into your ears.” The NIV translates it this way, “Listen carefully to what I am about to tell you.” But the heart of the message remains the same: “The Son of Man is about to be delivered into the hands of men.”

We’re not even half way through Luke yet, and Jesus is making it very clear that this is why He has come – to be handed over, to die and to rise. “Let these words sink into your ears,” he states so graphically.

I find that statement and interesting contrast to what Luke’s friend Paul wrote in 2 Timothy 4:3: “The time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths.” More and more it seems that the church is interested in helping men be men, children grow to be godly, wives to reflect Proverbs 31. Much of what comes out of the church sounds more like self help than it does exhortation to repent and receive forgiveness. More and more I hear that Christians don’t want to hear about Jesus’ death and resurrection because it makes them sad or causes them to feel guilty. They state, “Going to church should make me feel good and happy. It should be uplifting.”

I’m walking a fine line here, because I believe the church should do much of what I just said. We should help people live lives that have been transformed by the Gospel, and I do think that our message is uplifting. But our message is firmly rooted in sin and grace. The Good News is that God loved us while we were still sinners.

“Let these words sink into your ears:” when Jesus was on the mount of transfiguration with Moses and Elijah they spoke of his departure. That word we translate departure is, “exodus.” The Old Testament book that bears that name is the record of how God rescued his people from slavery in Egypt through mighty deeds. Jesus’ exodus would rescue God’s people from slavery to sin and free us from death.

“Let these words sink into your ears:” Jesus predicts his suffering and death twice here. He set his face toward Jerusalem and goes to his death purposefully. This makes us think of Isaiah 50:7 speaking of God’s faithfulness he says, “therefore I have set my face like flint, I will not be put to shame.”

As you go about your day today, “Let these words sink into your ears:” God loved you so much that he gave his one and only Son to die for you, thereby paying for your sins, releasing you from death, and reconciling you to Himself.

Your boss may not like you. Your children might be rebellious. Your behavior could be neurotic. You might be a mess. Before you get to the life correction part of the faith, let the message of God’s love and salvation for you, “sink into your ears.”

Father in Heaven, remind me over and over again of how much You love me. Let the message of Jesus’ life, death and resurrection sink into my ears, my mind, my words, and my heart. Let everything I do be based on the foundation of the salvation He has won for me. Amen.

Comments