Acts 20

As a preacher, I have occasionally received comments about the length of my sermons . . . and the dullness of them. Sometimes those comments are just, sometimes not, but when I read Acts 20, there is a sense of comfort that at least when I’ve been preaching no one has ever fallen out of a window and died! (Note that I did not say no one has ever fallen asleep, because if I said that, then I’d be lying!)

We get to have a glimpse of the human side of the life of the church. Even in the early days good-byes took a long time, and leaving was difficult. Yet the love and encouragement that the people of God have for one another is amazing. It flows from the unity of heart and mind that we have in the Spirit because of the faith and hope we have in Jesus.

Both in Troas and when the Ephesians leaders met Paul in Miletus we see the deep love that these brothers and sisters in Christ had for Paul. The relationship between the evangelist and those who received the gospel is one of deep appreciation and love.

In the modern church we see this in the love between the people and their pastor. When we dwell together in love and unity, seeking God’s will together, and gathering around the Word and Sacraments it is truly a beautiful thing.

I remember when I was at the seminary that I was often told that I had to watch out for “alligators.” That was code for people who cause trouble in the church. Alligators are people who would take a bite out of a pastor and tear him up. By the time I graduated and took a Call to be a pastor, I figured that I’d better be careful so any “alligator” wouldn’t get me.

I am sure there are people in churches who are highly antagonistic to their pastors, and that there are even some who perversely would tear their pastor up. But in my career I have never found “alligators.” For the most part I have found that the congregation is very loving and supporting. I have found people that I have disagreed with, and I have found people who made me angry. I suspect I’ve angered more than a couple people myself. (And by “suspect” I mean “know.”) But I’ve always found that we’ve been able to live in the love and hope of Jesus’ death and resurrection together.

God’s forgiveness is for all people, and everyone who believes that Jesus died for their sins and rose again for our salvation has that forgiveness. Knowing that is central to our lives together. Standing at the foot of the cross leaves no room for agendas or egos. There is only forgiveness and love.

Ultimately, leadership in the Church is followership of Christ. It is clinging to His forgiveness, and being faithful to His message. Paul’s words in verses 18 and following are good ones for us to model our leadership and service on: You yourselves know how I lived among you the whole time from the first day . . . serving the Lord with all humility and with tears and with trials that happened to me . . . how I did not shrink from declaring to you anything that was profitable, and teaching you in public and from house to house, testifying . . . of repentance toward God and of faith in our Lord Jesus Christ.”

God grant that at the end of our service we can be bold like Paul was, by being faithful today, tomorrow, and each day to the calling we have in Christ. Amen.

Comments