Acts 26

Let’s get right to the heart and core of the matter. Why did Jesus call Paul?

Let me clarify that question a little. I do not mean; why did God call Paul as opposed to Luke, or Ananias, or some other individual? People often wonder why some people become Christians and not others. I have wondered myself why God put me in a family that would have me baptized and teach me about Jesus, giving me opportunities to attend schools that would open God’s Word to me and daily teach me about God’s love, and allowing me to do the work that I get to do sharing His Word with others. I think we all ask that kind of question at some point. That’s not what I’m driving at here. It’s enough that in His love and mercy for all people, you and I were called and we believe. Thanks be to God!

What I am asking is; for what purpose did Jesus call Paul? What did He want Paul to do? What was his mission/purpose/task?

Paul quotes Jesus’ answer to that question in verses 16-18. “I have appeared to you for this purpose, to appoint you as a servant and witness to the things in which you have seen me to those thing in which I will appear to you, delivering you from your people and from the Gentiles – to whom I am sending you to open their eyes, so that they may turn from darkness to light and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me.”

Jesus called Paul to be a servant and witness, (something we’ve focused on a lot as we’ve read Acts!) sharing the message of God’s salvation with the Gentiles, people who were thought to be beyond salvation. He speaks of this in terms of giving them the opportunity to turn from darkness to light and from the power of Satan to God. The work that God gave Paul has everything to do with forgiveness of sins – proclaiming the power of Jesus’ cross and empty tomb. That is how they would become “sanctified,” which means, made holy in God’s sight.

Dear reader, need I remind you that many of us are Gentiles? Or that all of us have lived in ways that separate us from God? We are people who lived outside of God’s covenant and without His promises, but God at some point intervened in our lives to turn us from darkness to light, to release us from Satan’s power so that we can know, love and follow Jesus and live in His salvation. That is our hope that we, too, are called to share!

Paul stated flatly, “I would to God that not only you [King Agrippa] but also all who hear me this day might become such as I am – except for these chains.” What we have received from God is so good – from the love and forgiveness we have in Jesus, to the calling we have through the Holy Spirit! How could we not want it for all people? This is our purpose, and it is rooted to the core of our faith – Jesus loves each of us that He died for us and makes us holy. It is a message that is truly worthy of centering every aspect of our lives and work around, and we must strive to purposefully keep it at our center.

The message is THE good news worth sharing because it is Christ’s salvation.

Father in Heaven, Paul was obsessed with sharing the amazing message of Your love and forgiveness in Jesus. Help me be obsessed with it to, and help me share the Word. Amen.

Comments