Genesis 3

As our first parents fall into sin, we see our own doom. Often have I wished that I could have been there, or at least been offered the chance for the choice. I have told myself, “I would not have fallen! I would not have been fooled!” I’m not so sure of myself now, though. I’ve learned that the devil is tricky, persuasive and has an amazing way of sounding right. I’ve also learned that I’ve caved at lesser temptations. (“One more piece of pie? Well. . . I shouldn’t . . . but I’m gonna!”)

Thinking you’re strong is rarely helpful when facing temptation. It is better to recognize the weakness acknowledging it as we resist the devil, clinging to God’s promise (not our strength) that he will flee. (Sadly, we rarely resist, and the temptation always seems to come back!)

So, how did it happen?

The serpent asked Eve a question: “Did God actually say . . . .” This is where sin begins; when we doubt God’s Word. The woman’s response is interesting because she gets it right, except that she adds something to the end; “neither shall you touch it.” I don’t know why the woman felt it was necessary to add that restriction, although we still do this kind of thing today. Finding the chink he needed, the devil wormed his way in, created doubt, and convinced the woman that God was holding out on her, and that the fruit would make her like (similar to) God because she would know good and evil. She ate. The man ate. The rest is history.

Have you ever learned something that you didn’t want to know? The truth is the man and woman already knew good. They knew good better than we do. It was completely natural for them to do good. What they actually learned in eating the fruit was just evil. Disobedience was now part of their repertoire. They we also about to learn that choices have consequences . . . and hard ones!

God asks three questions as He seeks for the man: “Where are you?” “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten of the tree of which I commanded you not to eat?” Now, my question is this: Do you think God didn’t know? In God’s mercy, He is teaching them repentance – confession of their sins. And He introduces the concept of salvation and forgiveness.

To be sure there were consequences doled out that we deal with to this day, but in 3:15 God includes a promise that we call, “The Terrible Gospel.” God says here, in paraphrase, “I will drive a wedge between you (devil) and people. I will turn your momentary victory into eternal defeat by sending the one who will defeat you.” And so a great conflict began that day - a war that has raged with mankind in the balance (while participating in it fully, knowingly and unknowingly). The devil has continued to tempt and to try to keep people from God (or God from people). But now God has become man in Jesus, and has won the victory by His death and resurrection. This prophecy has come true, and Jesus has defeated our enemies. But, like many wars, the enemy is not going quietly, and he will destroy what he can on his way out. We, however, are now bearers of hope and healing for the casualties of this war, for that hope is ours. Jesus has won the victory. My sin is forgiven. I have been reconciled to God through Him!

God, give me strength to repent of my sin, to resist temptation, and to share the hope I have in Jesus!

Comments