Titus 3

One of the all time classic and favorite hymns that Christians love to sing is Amazing Grace. As we sing, “Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me! I once was lost, but now am found. Was blind, but now I see,” with great fervor, I sometimes wonder if we believe what we’re saying. I’m a “wretch?” I was “lost”? I was “blind”?

I don’t think I like those adjectives. I mean, sure, I have some personality flaws and bad habits, but to say that I’m a wretch, well, that hurts my feelings! And “lost”? Okay, sure, I’ve gone off the beaten path once or twice, but I always got back to where I belong, right? Blind? I think, I’d prefer to say, “deceived” or “misguided,” after all, I’m a church-going good person.

When we are confronted with our sin, the adjectives the Bible uses are harsh. We can fool ourselves all we want, but God is not fooled, and His Law acts as a mirror exposing who we truly are and who we have been. Titus 3:3 says, “For we ourselves we once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another.” We were in a sad state, but it does no good to look back and guild the past so that we think that we are better, or less sinful, than we are. If we do so, the amazing message of the following verses is watered down and made useless.

Verse 4 begins with the ever-so-important word, “but.” “But,” tells us all that stuff about being foolish, etc. is about to be negated. What is about to be said is going to sweep all those bad things about our past away!

“But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.”

This is a passage worth having memorized and remembering every day. Read it over again, and pause and consider the words that I have emphasized.

I love the way Luther talks about the magnitude of this grace and salvation we have received through faith in Jesus. He writes that Jesus, “has redeemed me, a lost and condemned person, purchased and won me from all sins, from death, and from the power of the devil; not with gold or silver, but with His holy, precious blood and with His innocent suffering and death, that I may be His own and live under Him in His kingdom and serve Him in everlasting righteousness, innocence, and blessedness, just as He is risen from the dead, lives and reigns to all eternity. This is most certainly true.”

We were not saved because of good works we had done (v. 4), but because of the amazing, incredible, wonderful, grace of God. Interestingly, when you scan ahead to v. 8, we are urged to devote ourselves to good works now. Why? Because, “These things are excellent and profitable for people.” They are a sign that we have received God’s amazing grace.

“Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me! I once was lost, but now am found. Was blind, but now I see.” Thank you, Jesus. Amen.

Comments