Genesis 18

Hospitality. It’s a gift we don’t talk about very often anymore. Or if we do it’s in the context of the service we get at a hotel or restaurant. But hospitality is really a message of what we value. As Americans we value time, efficiency, and privacy. Hospitality values people, relationships, and sharing.

I want to make clear: I’m not saying that time, efficiency and privacy are bad. Indeed, they can be quite important. If you are driving me to the hospital because my appendix is about to burst, I don’t want you to stop and chat with every friend and acquaintance we see. There needs to be a balance between these values, otherwise we trample all over one another’s boundaries. However, we should not be so busy that we don’t have time for people, relationships and sharing . . . and I fear that is the norm of our lives.

Consider the encounter between Abraham and the LORD in our reading today. The LORD was traveling past Abraham’s tent on His way to Sodom and Gomorrah. When Abraham recognized Him he invited the LORD and the two angels with him to allow him to show them some hospitality.

Did you take some time to think about how long that pause for refreshment must have taken? We’re used to going the tap and getting some water, and opening the refrigerator or cupboard to pull out some snacks. Abraham told Sarah to get 3 seahs of flour . . . that’s about 21 quarts. When I make bread I use about 3 ½ cups! Sarah was doing some baking! Abraham then ran to the herd and selected a young calf and told a young man to prepare it. That means killing, cleaning, butchering and cooking. How long do you suppose all this took? I don’t know, but I can tell you that when I make bread it usually takes 3-4 hours, and when we processed deer when I was growing up it took us the better part of a day.

Abraham had a feast prepared; all for the sake of spending time with the LORD and welcoming Him to his home. And the Lord spent the better part of the day with Abraham and his family.

Did you note what happened in the time that Abraham and the LORD were together? They talked. The LORD spoke to Abraham and Abraham spoke to the LORD. Abraham and Sarah learned that they’d have a son – and they laughed. The LORD reminded them that nothing was impossible for him. The LORD revealed His concern over Sodom and Gomorrah and His wrath at their sin. He also showed His mercy as Abraham spoke with Him and promised to spare the cities for the sake of 10 righteous people.

Spending time on relationships with God, your spouse, your children, your family and friends matters. In Isaiah 7 God revealed His coming savior as “Immanuel,” which means, “God with us.” God values the time we have with Him. He values the time we spend with one another. Why? Because that’s where love can be lived out, and God is love.

Hospitality is about making space for people in our lives. To live in God’s love together and learn to love one another is at the heart of His will for us.

Father in Heaven, thank You for valuing the time that we spend together. I don’t always value the opportunities that I have to spend time with others to know them and learn to love as You love me. Help me to extend your invitation to relationship with you through Jesus by my life. Amen.

Comments