Genesis 49

I have had the privilege of being there at the last moments of several people’s lives. Those moments tend to bring things into focus as to what matters.

One man stands out in my memory; a guy named Jack from my vicarage/internship. He had been in the hospital for a while, and we had talked quite a bit about death, life, Jesus, forgiveness, Heaven and resurrection. On May 27, 1997 I went out to visit him. We talked, prayed, and as I reminded him about God’s forgiveness and love for him, Jack said something I’ll never forget. He said, “The Lord’s been good to me . . . better than I ever was to Him.” He was at peace, and he knew that because of Jesus there was a heavenly home waiting for him.

I received page one the way home. (This was early in the cell phone era, and many of you will remember the almost useless boxes that would vibrate and beep to tell us to call someone.) I pulled off at the next gas station and used the pay phone to call the church office. Jack had died. I hadn’t been gone for more than 15 minutes.

Psalm 116:7 says, “Return to your rest, O my soul, For the Lord has dealt bountifully with you.” (NKJV) The time comes when it is time to rest from this world. Jacob recognized that he was at that point in our reading today. He gathered his sons and he blessed them. He spoke prophetically over them and proclaimed the Word of the Lord to them; declaring both Law and Gospel.

Jacob’s oldest son, Reuben, lost his preeminence because of his incestuous relationship with his father’s wife, Bilhah. Simeon and Levi, the next two oldest also lost their places of honor because of the violence they committed. Judah received the birthright blessing from Jacob, it would be through his family that kings would be born, indeed the promised savior who brings eternal peace would come through Judah’s clan. (That is the imagery behind the donkey’s colt in the vineyard.) Other predictions were not so weighty. Zebulun would dwell by the sea. Issachar would be a servant among his brothers. Dan would bear a clever judge. (Fulfilled in Samson.) Gad would dwell at the border and defend his brothers from raiders. Asher’s tribe would live in the fertile areas of Canaan. Naphtali would enjoy freedom and be fruitful. Joseph’s blessings had come in his own time. God’s blessings were already rich in his life. Benjamin’s children would be great warriors. Indeed, Saul, the first king of Israel was a warrior king.

As Jacob blesses his sons, can you hear in the background a sense of awe and gratitude? “The Lord’s been good to me . . . better than I ever was to Him.”

There’s one more thing that Jacob says that is very important. He commands that his body be buried in Canaan. He is reminding his sons that Canaan, not Egypt, is their home. We, too, do well to keep in mind that this world is not our home. God has a Promised Land for us as well. You can call it heaven, the New Creation, whatever you like, but it is the place God has prepared for us to live in all holiness and perfection – the holiness and perfection he gives us by faith in Jesus.

Lord, you’ve been good to me . . . better than I ever was to You. Thank you. Please keep me in your goodness and love, and let me share the hope I have in Jesus with others. Amen.

Comments