Exodus 5

Pharaoh’s first words to Moses could easily have been spoken in any office, street or bar in our world today: “Who is the Lord, that I should obey his voice. . . ? I do not know the Lord.”


To be sure, nihilism and atheism are more and more woven into our culture, but many people believe in “God” even in today’s society. In fact it is still very “American” to believe in “God.” But who is this “God” that so many refer to when they say, “God bless!” or proclaim that we are “one nation under God”?

For much of our society, God has become, “the man upstairs,” “the big guy,” or even just the one who watches, “at a distance.” He’s there, but he doesn’t seem to do much, although if someone were to encourage a person who believes in this kind of god to pray they’d probably say that they couldn’t because, “God is busy.”

For many their faith in God is what theologians would call deism. There’s a god out there, and you better do what he says, but beyond that he won’t bother you too much.

I actually don’t get too bent out of shape when people in the world ask this question, “Who is the Lord, that I should obey his voice?” What does bother me is when we who confess the Christian faith allow the theology of a world that doesn’t know God to influence what we do and teach. Because the world largely accepts that there is such a thing as “God” and he has given us rules, much of our belief has become moralism – sermons about being good and "live-this-way" “Bible” studies. Somehow we’ve gotten the idea that God’s greatest goal is for us to be happy, so we spend a lot of effort to make sure everyone feels good. (I sometimes wonder if their Bibles have Jesus saying, “I am the good therapist, I will not make you feel bad.”)

Look closely at this God who calls Himself “I Am.” Ponder what it means that our God is YHWH – “He Is.” Think of Moses standing before Pharaoh saying, “Thus says YHWH!” The Lord is not distant, watching, and disinterested. He is imminent, active, and about to do something miraculous. The moment bristles with tension as Pharaoh thumbs his nose at YHWH’s representative, and YHWH is about to save his people.

And God continues to be imminent. He is present in His Word and Sacraments and continues to save His people. While Jesus was crucified, died and was buried in a very specific locations near Jerusalem, the risen Jesus promises, “I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” In Romans, Paul asks, “What can separate us from the love of God?” The answer being nothing. In 1 John we learn that God is love, therefore when we are connected to God’s love – which we cannot be separated from – we are connected to Him.

Perhaps we should ask this question of ourselves, “Who is the Lord that I should obey Him?” He is God who is present, who saves me through Jesus’ death and resurrection, and never leaves me, nor forsakes me. He is the One who has forgiven all my sins and given me a new life in Jesus resurrection.

YHWH – thank you for making Yourself known to me. Help me to know you more in your Word. Amen.

Comments