Exodus 6

One little phrase jumped out at me as I was reading Exodus 6 today.  It is in verse 9.  

The Lord had just made some awesome promises to Moses and the people of Israel:
-          I am the LORD.  I have heard the groaning of the people, and have remembered my covenant. 
-          I will bring you out from the Egyptians.
-          I will deliver your from slavery.
-          I will redeem you with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm and with great acts of judgment.
-          I will take you to be my people.  I will be your God. 
-          I will bring you into the land that I promised to your forefathers.  I will give it to you. 

Wow!  What an exciting, hopeful, encouraging message to receive! Then verse 9 reports that Moses told these things to the Israelites, “but they did not listen to Moses, because of their broken spirit and harsh slavery.”  

When our spirits are broken by the pains and hurts of this world, it can be hard to hear God’s Words.  In the midst of life’s trials and tribulations, it is very easy to take our eyes off of God’s Promises and look only at our suffering.  I think this is why God keeps repeating, “I am the LORD.”  He is lovingly reminding us that he knows our hurts, our sufferings, and our pains.  He calls us to trust in him in those times of fear and doubt, to keep our eyes fixed on him, and trust in His deliverance.  As Jesus says, “In this world you will have trouble.  Take heart!  I have overcome the world.”  

Harsh slavery also keeps us from hearing God’s Promises.  Now, perhaps you’re thinking that we’re not slaves, and this doesn’t apply to us.  Remember that Jesus says, “Whoever sins is a slave to sin.”  The sick thing about our slavery is that we’ve chosen it for ourselves.  As we chase the idols of our lives, nurse grudges, refuse forgiveness, neglect worship and God’s Word, live for this world, etc., we are living under harsh slavery.  As we live this way we are filled with worry, doubt, and fears.  

There is an important question to ask here:  Did God turn away from Israel when they did not listen to Moses?  No.  He stayed the course.  He kept his promises.  God has also kept His promises to us.  He heals our brokenness and frees us from slavery through Jesus’ rejection, suffering and death.  He gives us new life in Christ – whole and free – through His resurrection from the dead.  And he gives us new promises to live for.  “Behold, I will be with you always!”  He also promises to take us to be with Him in glory.  And perhaps the greatest promise we are awaiting is that He will raise the dead, and all who believe in Jesus will live with Him in His Kingdom in everlasting righteousness, innocence, and blessedness.  

Listen to the promises, and don’t be overcome by the brokenness of life or the slavery of sin.  Jesus has healed you and set you free.  

Father in Heaven, thank you for saving me, because I don’t always listen due to my brokenness and slavery.  Help me to live in the freedom Jesus has won for me every day in the power of Your Spirit.  Let me share that freedom with others, too.  Amen. 

Comments