Exodus 15


Have you ever felt the need to just break into song?  Have you ever been so amazed by God’s great grace that you just couldn’t keep form singing?  Standing on the edge of the recently re-formed Red Sea, the Israelites do just that.  They sing. 

And what is the theme of their musical offering?  Plainly and simply:  Salvation. 

This great ancient hymn focuses on God’s action to save them.  He threw the horse and rider in the sea.  He was their strength.  He “is a man of war” and he fights for His people.  The enemies of God’s people tremble at His power.  “The Lord will reign forever and ever.” 

I think a lot about worship and the songs we sing today.  There are many great old hymns that we sing, and there are many wonderful modern songs that follow this pattern of praising God for the salvation He has provided for us.  They focus clearly on what God has done for us.  They proclaim Jesus Christ; crucified, risen, and coming again.  Their attention is on God. 

I have also heard and sung many hymns and songs that tend to focus on the things that we do.  “I’m going to praise you.”  “I will pray.”  “I will tell the world.”  “I will worship.”  I, I, I, I, I.  That’s a big contrast in emphasis. 

I’m not saying there is anything wrong with wanting to express our commitment to God in song.  In fact, it is a holy sentiment that moves us to want to worship, praise, serve, or do anything for the Lord.  The problem I have is that it seems sometimes that people love the hymns that focus on what we do and ignore the hymns that focus on what God does. 

To be blunt:  If God hadn’t done what He did to save us, we would not have any desire to praise and serve the Lord.  And even if somehow we managed to want to serve God, we’d be absolutely incapable of doing it.  We need God’s salvation.  We need the Cross of Christ in our lives, and in our music. 

When you sing and worship, look at the words.  Do they focus on God or on us?  Do they proclaim what God has done, or what we want to do?  Do they speak of salvation or simply of our activity? 

When we sing as God’s people there is more going on than when a band sings a love song.  It is all well and good for Buddy Holly to go on and on about Peggy Sue or Ritchie Valenz to profess his love for Donna in song.  The songs of the church, however, also proclaim salvation.  Our music tells the story of redemption.  It evangelizes those who hear.  It encourages people with the Gospel.  It points us to Jesus. 

Or at least it should. 

What greater thing could we sing about?  The Lord has triumphed gloriously.  On the cross He overcame sin.  Jesus’ empty tomb shows He defeated death.  He mightily defends us and provides our salvation.  No one can stand against the Lord, for He will come again with a shout of triumph, and even if we’ve died, we will see Him coming in the skies! 

Father, you defended the Israelites and gave them salvation.  You have done the same for me.  Help me to recognize your mighty work in my life, and overwhelm me to move me to worship you.  Let my songs proclaim Your goodness and salvation for all to hear.  In Jesus’ name I pray.  Amen. 

Comments