Exodus 20

When I was in college I worked as a security guard.  Being and student and living on campus also meant that I got to be first responder for any kind of medical emergency.  I received first aid training, a small kit that I carried around with me, and a nifty card that certified that I was trained to do first aid and CPR.  (I still get teased for the phrase we were required to say at any medical emergency:  “I’m medically trained.  I can help.”) 

I don’t remember a lot of the specific techniques and procedures that I learned half-a-life-time ago.  But I remember there were lists that we memorized.  “This is what you do.  First, stay calm.  Second, help everyone else remain calm.  (That’s where, “I’m medically trained . . . .” comes in; for a nineteen-year-old to inspire confidence in the victim and those around.)  Third, designate someone to call 911.  Fourth, assess the situation.  Is there a pulse?  Is the victim breathing?  Is there an injury?  Etc. 

Each piece of my first aid training was just the tip of the iceberg.  There was much more I could have learned to be better prepared.  With enough study and practice I could have been a paramedic, or a nurse, or a doctor.  But what I was given was the basics. 

In Exodus 20, God is giving His people (you and me included) the basics of how His people live.  We call these basics, The Ten Commandments.  He’s not done giving commandments and laws after He gives these ten.  There are many more things that He will discuss.  But these ten are the capstone, the entry point, the overarching theme under which the rest find their place.  This is a spot in the scriptures that we could stop and spend months digging into the significance of each phrase and spend a lifetime digging out beautiful gold nuggets of God’s love and wisdom. 

Would it be worth doing?  Certainly!  There is much to learn here of God’s desire for us.  For our purposes I will only recommend two resources, though.  My goal is to read through the entire Bible with you, and I’m already way behind.  For now, I recommend Luther’s Small Catechism (available at http://www.stpaulsashland.org/docs/lutheran/smallcatechism.pdf) and his Large Catechism (available at http://www.oursavior-billings.org/index.php?page=lcatechism) for excellent explanations on what the Commandments mean, and as a platform to dive deeper into these important pieces of revelation. 

The Commandments are meant to be remembered.  They show us how God wants us to live. They also display what sin is as we break them.  We do well to commit them to memory, treasure them in our hearts, and use them often as we confess our sins to God and one another.  We should return to them regularly so that we do not forget them, like I’ve forgotten so much of my first aid training. 

We have now exposed a problem.  As we return to the Commandments we will find that we break them, and that we are indeed guilty before the Lord.  Interestingly, the last several verses of this chapter are about building altars.  Altars are where sacrifices are made to atone for sin.  Even as God gave the Commandments, He was already thinking about how to give forgiveness to His people.  And ultimately He was looking ahead to the cross where Jesus would give His own life to pay for our sins. 

Do not neglect the Ten Commandments.  They are part of God’s will for us.  And do not neglect Christ’s forgiveness through the cross and empty tomb, for without them these Commandments only accuse us. 

Father, Thank You for Your Law.  Thank You for teaching me Your ways.  Forgive me for the times that I break your Commandments and restore me to You through Jesus’ precious blood shed for me.  Amen. 

Comments