Psalm 13


Is there a worse feeling than loneliness?  To be sure, we all crave times to be alone, but that is very different than loneliness.  Being alone is a temporary state that refreshes us to return to the fellowship of our brothers and sisters in Christ, our families, friends, and others.  Loneliness is the sense that there will never be a return to community, or that even in the midst of many people you are still disconnected.  Worst of all, loneliness, deep lingering loneliness, leaves us feeling separated from God. 

It is a very real human feeling; loneliness.  It was the feeling that King David was experiencing when he wrote Psalm 13.  He felt separated from people, from God, and he cried out in despair, “How long, O LORD?  Will you forget me forever?” 

Have you ever been there?  Have you ever been in the place where all seems dark?  Have you walked through times that the sweetest wine tasted like ashes, good news seemed sadness, and all the best things seemed hopelessly fleeting?  Have you ever been to that place where God seems so distant that your heart aches for His presence, but never finds satisfaction? 

Many Christians have experienced something like this.  St. John of the Cross (1542-1591) called it, “the dark night of the soul,” in his famous poem by the same name.  St. Thomas Aquinas (1225-1274) described it in his writings too.  Luther, also, went through times wondering where God was in his life.  Perhaps these experienced help to draw out his understanding that our salvation cannot rest on our feelings, but must rest in what God has done.  “I am baptized,” he would say if asked the questions, “How do you know you are saved?”  He was very good at putting the focus back on God, His promises, Christ’s Cross, and His Spirit’s work through the Word and Sacraments. 

Luther recognized that it is very tempting to focus on ourselves when walking through the dark night.  We want so badly to change our circumstances that we diligently put ourselves to work.  We seek the cure for our loneliness in things we can do.  Sometimes we medicate ourselves against the loneliness; pharmaceutically or by attempting to drown the sadness in a bottle.  We think, “Whatever it takes to escape!”  (Please note: I am not speaking of clinical depression here, which is a physical malady that God has given us medical insight to ease.  This is a spiritual condition.)

So what do we do when we find ourselves in the dark night? 

We wait.  We suffer, as Jesus did.  We cry.  But we also cling to God’s promises.  We look to Him for comfort.  We cling to God’s Word, as Jeremiah did in his Lamentations, “I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him." 25 The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; 26 it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD. 27 It is good for a man to bear the yoke while he is young. 28 Let him sit alone in silence, for the LORD has laid it on him. 29 … there may yet be hope. 30 …. 31 For men are not cast off by the Lord forever. 32 Though he brings grief, he will show compassion, so great is his unfailing love.” (Lam 3:24-32 NIV) That’s what David did, too.  “I have trusted in Your steadfast love; my heart shall rejoice in Your salvation.”  We remember, “I am baptized.  I have received Jesus’ body and blood in the Lord’s Supper.  I hear His Word and these brings me God’s salvation.”  It may be hard, it may be lonely, but God has promised, “I will never leave you or forsake you.”  So we hold on, waiting to see what He will do in this time, for He has dealt bountifully with us.

Father, be with me.  Help me trust you, and believe that when I feel abandoned, that you are there.  Bring to mind all the blessings you have given me, especially that You gave Jesus to save me.  Amen. 

Comments

Eric Tritten said…
I forgot to add this: It's a great song by Michael Card on Psalm 13. http://youtu.be/DUZvpsfK6qk

Peace!