Psalm 6


What a phrase:  “I am languishing.”  What a confession!  Basically the psalmist is saying, “All my strength is gone.  I’m withering.  I’m shriveling up.  I am dying.” 

Why? 

He fears God’s anger.  He dreads God’s discipline given in wrath.  His alarm is so great that he feels it in his bones.  His sorrow is so deep he feels it physically. 

Perhaps we can relate.  It’s that feeling we get when we’ve truly let down one we love.  It’s that sensation of knowing your spouse’s sorrow is because of what you did.  It’s the shame of returning to a sin that had broken you before.  It’s being at the bottom of the pit with no way to climb out. 

What do you do when you get in that place of brokenness?  What do you do when you are languishing?  Have stiff drink?  Suck it up?  Put a brave face on and stuff the pain down deep where no one can see?  Do you walk around wounded and torn, wishing things could be better?  None of these things will solve your pain. 

The psalmist cries out, “Heal me, O Lord.” 

Heal me. 

Confessing sin is to acknowledge more than just a flaw or a crack in our integrity.  It is to recognize that we are utterly ruined.  We are beyond what we can do for ourselves.  We need to be healed.  We need someone to come from the outside and rescue us. 

So Jesus came healing the sick as a sign of His divinity and His authority – authority to heal us of our sins.  Surely he has borne our infirmities.  He carried our sin upon His shoulders and by His stripes – the punishment He received for our sin – we are healed. 

“The LORD has heard my plea; the LORD accepts my prayer.”  God has given us the remedy for our sin, our guilt, our deepest pain that leaves us a weeping mess.  He has given us the blood of Jesus to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.  We are cleansed.  We are healed. 

But what of this stuff in the psalm about enemies being ashamed? 

This is important.  Even after we are healed our conscience will still accuse us.  The world will call us sick and point out where we behave sinfully.  And Satan will live up to his name.  He is “the accuser of the brethren”, and he constantly accuses us.  Yet for all that will be said to show that we are not healed, that we are still the same broken people we were before, and that we are still in our trespasses and sins; for all of that, there is this:  Jesus died for me.  I am baptized into his death.  I have been fed on His body and blood for my salvation.  I will be confident in Him, and not in myself. 

Father in Heaven, your mercy is new every morning.  I know my brokenness and my guilt brings me shame to the core of my being.  Yet this is my confidence; Jesus died and rose for me.  Strengthen my faith to hold on to this promise, and give me Your Spirit that my life may show the Life You’ve given me.  Amen. 

Comments