Psalm 17


“A just cause …”  As a 21st Century U.S. American, I have to confess that I have difficulty with those words.  Perhaps it is this century’s cynicism settling in on me, but it seems to me that everyone claims that their cause is just.  (I personally have never been unjust in any cause that I’ve pursued … just ask me, and I can justify just about anything I do!) 

Yet there are just causes.  There are endeavors that flow from the heart of God which capture the hearts of His people.  We pursue them, not because they benefit us, but because they benefit others and display God’s mercy and justice.  Think of William Wilberforce who spoke out against slavery in England.  Wasn’t his cause just?  What about men like Dietrich Bonhoeffer who resisted the Nazi regime?  How about people like Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King Jr. who struggled for racial equality? (Which is a term I don’t like because we are all one race…but that’s a different topic.)  What about the folks who marched in Washington D.C. recently in support of life? 

There are just causes.  Where things get muddy is when we sinful people use unjust methods to advance our just causes.  Bonhoeffer resisting the Nazis is good.  Bonhoeffer trying to assassinate Hitler is probably not a very good witness.  Those who used violence (race riots, bombing abortion clinics) to advance their cause put a dark mark against the good they otherwise seek to accomplish. 

As the psalmist promotes his just cause to the LORD, he makes some potent claims.  He says his lips are free from deceit.  He claims that if God tests his heart he will find no transgressions.  He purports to have avoided the ways of violence.  He says, “My steps have held fast to your paths; my feet have not slipped.”  These are some tall assertions.  How can he say these things?  How can we, as sinful people, pray these things? 

The only way we can say these things is in Christ.  In Him, God wondrously shows His steadfast love for He sent Jesus into the world, not to condemn the world, but to save the world through Him!  (John 3:17)  Essentially, this psalm says to God, “LORD, You saved me.  You forgave me.  You gave me Jesus’ righteousness in place of my sinfulness.  Now protect me and keep me in true faith.  Help me to always trust you.  Though my faith is weak, I will boldly claim, ‘I shall behold your face in righteousness,’ because the salvation Jesus won for me has put me right with God!” 

Oh, if only we always remembered that we are, indeed, the apple of God’s eye, and that we are truly hidden in the shadow of His wings.  If only we always had in our hearts how mightily God moved to redeem and rescue us from our sins.  If only we were always in awe of the care God takes to protect and keep us by the work of His Spirit through the Word and Sacraments; and by extension the church.  Then we might be much bolder in this world where we are surrounded by temptation, troubles, and treachery. 

God still pursues His just cause in this world.  He desires to be both just and the justifier of all people.  (Romans 3:26)  He works at that cause in our lives as He daily comforts and strengthens us with Jesus’ forgiveness.  Thanks be to God!  He works at that cause in the world through us to reach others.  Truly we have a just cause as God calls us to serve Him as His witnesses in this world. 

Father in Heaven, You always hear my prayer!  I, however, have not always trusted You to hear me.  Help me to remember that I am precious to You, and please use me to communicate Your love, poured out on all people  by Jesus’ sacrifice, so others may know that they are precious to You too.  Amen. 

Comments