Psalm 18:1-24


“I love you, O LORD, my strength.” 

How long has it been since you thought of God as your strength?  I sometimes think of Him as the one who gives me strength.  Many Christian athletes like to quote Philippians 4:13, “I can do all things through him who strengthens me.”  (ESV)  But I’m not sure that I’ve heard anyone say recently, “God is my strength.” 

While I might be splitting hairs here, there is a difference between acknowledging God is my strength and God strengthens me.  I think there is a reason we put, “I can do all things…,” on posters, t-shirts, and wristbands, and we don’t put, “God is my strength,” all over the place.  We want to be strong, to have some power to contribute that God enhances to put us over the top, give us an edge, or let us win.  When we say, “God is my strength,” there is a sense of saying, “I don’t have any strength of my own.” 

I don’t like not having strength of my own.  I want to be powerful, capable, self-sufficient, and fairly autonomous.  I don’t want to need anyone.  But that’s not reality.  We are dependent, and we are supposed to be so.  God has designed us to depend on Him, and He will defend us.  (Just as an aside:  Philippians 4:13 has a lot more dependence in its context than we allow it to have when we pull it out and use it for our purposes of inspiring activity, so it is not at all at odds with what God says in Psalm 18.) 

And what a God we have to depend on to defend us!  He is a rock, fortress, deliverer, shield and stronghold.  He saves us from our enemies.  Look at verse 6 to see how He responds to our need.  He hears our prayer, and His reaction shakes the earth!  Verse 8 describes Him with smoke coming from His nostrils and flames from His mouth!  He is a terrible enemy!  This section is actually comparing God to the gods of the people around Israel showing Him in a way that surpasses them all.  He rides upon the storm, darkness swirls around him, yet He shines brightly in His glory.  Lightning is his arrows. 

The sea stands as the enemy of God in this psalm, and God destroys it, lays it bare, and pulls His child from it in safety.  It cannot resist Him.  Such power!  Such might!  Who can compare to our God?  None!  No one!  No thing! 

This is the God who is our strength.  He rescues us because we are righteous, although we are not so in and of ourselves.  It is, perhaps, more exact to say that He rescues us because of Jesus’ righteousness which He gave us through faith.  As Paul says, “And you, who were dead in your trespasses…, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, 14 by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross.” (Col 2:13-14 ESV)  We were drowning in the sea of our sin, as good as dead, and Jesus reached in and pulled us out, taking our sin upon Him and, as He was nailed to the cross, He nailed our sin there.  The best part is that Jesus then rose from the dead, but He left the sin where it can no longer touch us. 

This psalm is a picture of God who is mighty to save.  He is wild, terrible, and powerful in His wrath, yet, as C.S. Lewis says of Aslan in the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, he is good.  He has saved us, so we put our trust in Him.

I love you, O LORD, my strength.  Thank you for hearing my prayer for Jesus’ sake and for saving me.  Please keep me by the work of the Holy Spirit and help me to trust you in all circumstance.  Be my strength.  Amen. 

Comments