Psalm 19:25-50


If I were to sum this whole psalm up in one verse, I’d choose Hebrews 11:1 – “Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.” (ESV)

The very beginning of this psalm tells us that David, “sang to the LORD the words of this song when the LORD delivered him from the hand of all his enemies and from the hand of Saul.” (Psalm 18:1 NIV) It was a time of victory and relief in David’s life.  But it wasn’t the end of the struggles and problems he would face – many of which were from his personal choices and sinful actions. 

To pray like this regularly, however, is to trust in things we’re not seeing.  Often we find ourselves feeling defeated.  Instead of feeling like we can run against a troop, we feel like we’ve been run over by a troop.  All around us we see people with haughty eyes excelling and prospering, and we wonder, “Will God bring them down?”  The world tells us that history has judged our faith and found it lacking, and we should join the relics of time as another broken down idea debunked by better data. 

However, by faith we see a different picture.  We can say with David, “This God – His way is perfect; the word of the LORD proves true; He is a shield for all those who take refuge in Him.  For who is God, but the LORD?  And who is a rock, except our God?”  It is not what we see with these physical eyes in our heads that dictate reality, but it is what the eyes of faith see as they trust in God who speaks reality into existence that matters most. 

In this world we often find ourselves operating from a stand point of trusting God’s Word over the things that we see and experience.  We cling to Him through His promises.  As we pray Psalm 18, we are taking hold of God’s promises to save and deliver us and lifting them back before God, as if to say, “Remember!  Remember!  Remember!”  And as we remind God, who does not forget, we also remind ourselves, and we do forget and constantly need to be refreshed by God’s Word. 

“The LORD lives, and blessed be my rock, and exalted be the God of my salvation – the God who gave me vengeance and subdued peoples under me, who delivered me from my enemies; yes, you exalted me above those who rose against me; you rescued me from the man of violence.”  We long for this kind of confidence as we face troubles and enemies, so we hold on to these words remembering what God will do, as well as what God has done for us. 

We see this salvation in Jesus.  He, too, was fully human as we are, and He stood in our place to bear our sin to death on the cross.  He was trampled by His enemies, beaten, bruised, crushed and killed.  Yet He had vengeance on Easter Sunday.  He was vindicated for the eyes of all to see as God raised Him from the dead, rescuing Him from the violence He faced in this life.  He died and rose, and he can never die again.  Indeed, “Great salvation He brings to his king, and shows steadfast love to His anointed.” 

Through Jesus, God brings great salvation to us.  As Jesus stood in our place, Jesus has drawn us into His place.  In Him we have received all of these promises and all of this victory.  Yet, in ourselves we still struggle in this world.  So we cling to promises; promises that are certain and strong as the One who gives them. 

Father in Heaven, help me to trust your promises.  Sometimes it looks like everything is wrong, and I feel like I’ve been abandoned to defeat.  Let me cling to your Word and receive the salvation Jesus won for me.  Yet, while I struggle and cling I pray you would use me to show your faithfulness to others.  Amen. 

Comments