Psalm 21


I go to the gym most mornings to exercise.  When I first started, I sat down with a trainer and she did an assessment to see how fit my physical fitness was.  (She didn’t say, “Pathetic!” but she might have been thinking it.)  She asked what my goals were and I told her that I am trying to lose weight and be in better general fitness.  So she put together a plan, so I go and I follow that plan.  However, I have one little problem.  When I go to the machine I need to use, I see the setting the last person left it on or the weight they were lifting.  It’s pretty consistently more advanced than where I’m at, and I think, “Wow!  I am weak!  I should be able to do that!” 

We often have the feeling that we “should” be able to do things.  I don’t mean just having the right to do what we want, but the actual ability to perform certain tasks or accomplish different feats.  However, just because we think we “should” be able to do something, doesn’t mean we really can.  Like me trying to do the chest press when the last guy lifted 210 lbs., we are just unable to make it happen. 

This psalm speaks in opposition to a bunch of “shoulds” that many of us carry in our lives.  We “should” be:  strong, able to get what we desire, self-made, lively, splendid, wonderful , greater than our enemies, and capable of taking care of ourselves. 

When it comes to spiritual matters we have a great capacity for deluding ourselves in regard to our strength.  Adam and Eve thought they should be able to know good and evil, but where did that get us?

No, we are not nearly as magnificent at we’d like to think we are spiritually.  We can see this lack when we talk about conversion.  All over the place people talk about making a decision to follow Jesus – and as Christians I think we do decide to some degree in regard to things we do in our walk with the LORD, but in terms of conversion … I’m not so sure.  In fact I’m more and more convinced that apart from Jesus we have no strength within us to do anything that amounts to a hill of beans before God. 

I often find myself thinking of Ephesians 2:1 on this topic.  It says, “As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins….” (Eph 2:1 NIV)  Not the most optimistic place to be; dead.  What do dead people do?  Nothing!  And if they could do anything, it would be to ask for life, which would be their hearts’ desire and the request on lifeless lips.

In this we see the marvel of this psalm.  The LORD provides His strength and salvation.  He gives blessings, life (eternal life!), and bestows His glory.  It is not our strength that matters, it is God’s strength, and He gladly gives it.  He uses His strength on our behalf and He overthrows all His enemies. 

Even more marvelous is the paradoxical way in which God displays his strength.  The most important of which is the Cross.  It looked like defeat, but in truth Jesus’ death is victory over our sin.  In much the same way, when a Christian dies we understand that they have received the victory and have gone from our midst to heavenly glory as they await the resurrection of all people.  As we suffer, we remember that, “the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.” (Rom 8:18 ESV) We are confident in the face of troubles because God’s power is at work!  His salvation is at hand!  He cannot be overcome, and He has not forgotten us. 

Lord God, You and strong, kind, and generous.  I sometimes live as though everything depends on my strength.  Help me to learn to depend on Your power and blessings.  Use me to display Your glory as You overcome my weakness to display Your salvation for others to see so they may believe in You.  Amen. 

Comments