Psalm 26


Sometimes the psalms make me uncomfortable.  They are too blunt.  Sometimes they just go too far for my sinful sensibilities.  Sometimes they seem to claim too much.  Take today’s psalm for instance.

“Vindicate me, O LORD …,” say most of the modern translations, but the King James is closer to the original.  “Judge me, O LORD, for I, in my integrity, I have walked….”  (my translation)  The author, King David, is so emphatic pointing to his integrity, so bold to call on God to judge him, and so confident that God will find him to be in the right!  He displays audacious hope in the LORD being on His side. 

“Prove me!”  “Examine me!”  “Try me!”  “Test my heart!”  “Test my innermost self!”  The word translated “mind” in all the modern translations literally means “kidney” – the most internal self. 

I think that I would shun that kind of scrutiny.  How about you?

“I wash my hands in innocence and go around your altar, O LORD, proclaiming thanksgiving aloud, and telling all your wondrous deeds.”    Here we see the source of David’s confidence before the LORD.  He has approached God’s altar.  The sacrifice has been offered.  His sin is atoned for and his boldness flows from thankfulness for God’s “wondrous” deeds. 

Centuries later we know of no more wondrous deed that God has done than giving His only begotten Son to us to die as the sacrifice to atone for our sins and to rise for our eternal life.  It is because of Jesus’ sacrifice that we approach the throne of grace with confidence.  We draw near to God’s altar to receive Jesus’ body and blood for the forgiveness of our sins, and in that forgiveness we are judged. 

Be very clear about that.  We can audaciously say, “Judge me, O LORD,” in the hope we have in Jesus because in Jesus we have been judged.  Jesus stood up to take our judgment and pay the penalty for our sin on the cross.  When Paul says, “I have been crucified with Christ,” his confidence is that Jesus atoned for his sin and that God’s word of judgment for the rest of his life is – “forgiven, holy, and redeemed.”  That is our confidence as well. 

Therefore, when we gather to worship, our focus is on the salvation Jesus has provided for us.  We say, “I love the habitation of your house and the place where your glory dwells,” because it is in God’s house where God meets us in Word and Sacrament to give us the forgiveness that makes us so bold as to make such over the top statements as David does throughout the psalms. 

O that we always felt this confidence.  More often our hearts are riddled with doubt.   “Do not sweep my soul away with sinners…,” is more in line with our normal response to God’s judgment.    But in truth our feet are on solid ground when we rely wholly on Jesus’ sacrifice.

Father, You forgive sins because You are so great and loving toward us.  Although You gave Your only begotten Son to die for me, I sometimes fear and doubt that my sins are fully forgiven.  Help me by the power of Your Holy Spirit to trust your promises, and make me an example of forgiveness and salvation to others, testifying to the wondrous things You have done for me.  Amen. 

Comments