Psalm 40


When I was in middle school (we called it Jr. High back then) and high school, I was not a great fan of grammar.  It wasn’t until I started studying other languages that parts of speech began to really make sense to me, and I began to care about verb tenses, participles, and subjects.  To be sure, I still bend the rules of grammar often, but now I usually know when I do. 

I bring up grammar, the bane of many students, because while reading this psalm it struck me how often the subject of the verbs is God – all the verbs where things are really happening belong to God.  God:
-          Inclined & heard
-          Drew me up
-          Set my feet on a rock
-          Secures my steps
-          Put a song in my mouth
-          Multiplies wondrous deed and thoughts
-          Does not require offering or sacrifices
-          Will not restrain His mercy
-          Takes thought of me

Look at the verbs where “I” am the subject.  I:
-          Waited
-          Proclaim and Tell what God has done
-          Come – but it is because I am inscribed in His scroll
-          Desire to do God’s will – but it is because His Law is in my heart
-          Have not hidden God’s deliverance
-          Have spoken of God’s faithfulness and salvation
-          Have not concealed God’s steadfast love and faithfulness
-          Cannot see
-          Am poor and needy

David wants it to be absolutely clear that salvation is from the LORD.  What do we contribute to it?  Nothing.  Zip.  Zilch.  Nada.  And because of this we praise and worship God.

This is something we need to get through our rock-hard skulls.  There is always a piece of us that says, “I have to do something,” as if we can earn salvation.  Or we say that we will do some wonderful thing for thing for God, as if can add value to what He has done.  Or we say, “I know that I’m forgiven, but I must now do this that or the other thing,” as if we have to contribute to or round out what Jesus has done for us.  Listen to contemporary Christian music for long and you will hear ideas like these.  Read contemporary Christian authors and you will likely run into thoughts like these. 

The Bible teaches a passive righteousness and salvation.  God has provided everything from first to last. 

Does that mean we do nothing?  No indeed!  We wait.  We respond.  We tell what God has done.  We point people to the cross of Christ.  We direct people to Jesus’ empty tomb as our deliverance.  We make known the deeds of our savior who has called us out of darkness into His marvelous light.  We keep our eyes fixed on Jesus, and tell others about Him so He can save them, too. 

O Holy Spirit, set my eyes on Jesus and empower me to point others to Him, too.  Amen.

Comments