Psalm 54


Eugene Peterson recalls and experience in his book Five Smooth Stones, “She came to see me at the recommendation of a friend.  She had been troubled for years, seeing psychiatrists seriatim and not getting any better.  The consultation had been arranged on the telephone so that when she walked into my study it was a first meeting.  Her opening statement was, ‘Well, I guess you want to know all about my sex life – that’s what they always want to know.’  I answered, ‘If that is what you want to talk about I’ll listen.  What I would really be interested in finding out about, though, is your prayer life.’”

Just as sex is (or should be) a deeply intimate experience between husband and wife, prayer is a deeply intimate activity between a person and God.  Prayer is not always private as sex is (or should be), but it always goes to the heart and deals with needs, emotions, fears, hopes, doubts, and faith.  That the psalms lay out the prayers of saints who have gone before us is a gift and blessing from God! 

Once again we get to learn from David’s prayer.  He did not write this to teach us.  He wrote it because he was pouring out his heart to God in the midst of danger, enemies, and betrayal.  He prayedbecause he trusted that God would keep His Word to make David a king. 

David wrote Psalm 54 while he was in hiding.  King Saul was seeking him and trying to kill him.  The king knew God had appointed David to be the next king, and he was doing everything in his power to make sure it never happened.  David was hiding in Ziph, in the southern region of Judah, among his own clan.  To curry favor with Saul, the Ziphites had sent him a message:  “Is not David hiding among us?” 

Imagine David’s emotions.  Put yourself in his shoes.  You can’t go home.  You are not safe.  Even in a place where you thought there was relative security you find betrayal.  What emotions run through your heart?  What thoughts run through your mind?  How would you pray at that moment?  Is it hard to come up with the right words?

David prayed, “O God, save me by your name, and vindicate me by your might.”  He reminded himself, “Behold, God is my helper; the Lord is the upholder of my life.”  He looked forward in faith and said, “He has delivered me from every trouble, and my eye has looked in triumph on my enemies.” 

It is not easy to make such a confession or to pray such a prayer.  Only by the power of the Holy Spirit at work in us can we see everything going wrong around us and cry out to God in both fear and faith. 

Too often we read these prayers as calm words, placidly spoken, and stoically offered to God.  I wonder if that has left our prayers emotionally lifeless, hindering our intimacy with God.  Yet these are the cries of heart that is breaking and has naught to cling to but God alone.  All David has is God’s Word.

In truth that is all we have, and it is good and right when our hearts cry out, “O God, remember Your Word!  Recall your promise!  Do not forget Jesus, the Word who became Flesh!  Because of His suffering, death and resurrection save me from all the evils that assail me!  Sickness, troubles, pain, injustice, and wickedness are all around me!  Rescue me!” 

God’s grace is sufficient for all our needs.  We can rightly say that Jesus, “has delivered me from every trouble.”  We live, now and always, in victory because of the Word of God and His promise in Christ. 

Lord God, fill me with faith that I might trust You and pour my heart out to You in all my prayers.  Amen.

Comments