Psalm 56


When it comes to fear I’ve heard many people say, “I’m not afraid of anything!”  I myself have said this boastfully to my children to calm their fears of the dark, monsters in the closets, and bogey men.  But when the chips are down, we all find that we have fears.  It may be irrational, like the fear of snakes, spiders, or of the number thirteen.  It may be the fear of possibilities:  sicknesses, injuries to loved ones, financial downfalls, or death.  It may simply be other people. 

People?  Who’s afraid of other people? 

You are. 

Don’t believe me? 

Walk up to the next person you meet and tell them about Jesus. 

Now you would probably be able to do it when put to the test, but I bet the thought of sharing your faith with someone else brings anxiety to your heart.  Edward Welch refers to that as the Fear of Man and contrasts it with the Fear of the Lord in his book, When People are Big and God is Small. 

We often obsess about what other people will think, what they will do, or how they will react to us.  The person who is so self-assured or secure in Christ a to truly not care what others think is rare.  The Fear of Man lurks in all our hearts.  Sometimes the fear is rational – there are people in the world who hurt, oppress, and violate others.  Other times the fear is irrational.  (Sometimes when I experience this irrational fear I ask myself, “What is he going to do to me; take away my birthday?”) 

In Psalm 56 we find David in a situation where he could legitimately be afraid.  He had fallen into the hands of his enemies, the Philistines.  He spent most of his life in open warfare with these people, and he even killed their champion, the giant Goliath, who was from Gath.  (Note the preface to the psalm!)  They could have killed him – slowly and painfully.  Yet what does he say? 

Then my enemies will turn back in the day when I call.  This I know, that God is for me.  In God, whose word I praise, in the LORD, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid.  What can man do to me? 

God knows our fears and our sorrows.  He understands our anxiety and reminds us, “I am for you.”  He keeps count of our nights of fitful sleep, and collects our tears in a bottle, that is, He pays close attention to our cares and dreads.  He knows because He made us, and God the Son, Jesus Christ, our Lord, became a man and lived among us and experienced all these things – even being seized by His enemies! 

In Jesus’ death and resurrection, He defeated everything that can do eternal harm to us.  This is our hope and confidence.  “What can man do to me?”  Nothing.  “For You have delivered my soul from death, yes, my feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of life.”  For all who believe in Jesus have hope beyond this life and its troubles.  As He promises in John 6, “I will raise him up.” 

Father, You know my fears and my anxious heart.  Strengthen my faith that I may trust You in all things, knowing that You have provided me with eternal life through the death of your Son.  Give me confidence in Your salvation that I might proclaim what You have done for me.  In Jesus’ name I pray.  Amen. 

Comments