Psalm 60


This is a hard psalm. 

I don’t think I’m comfortable with what it says. 

Sometimes, when I’m not sure what to say about a Scripture passage, I find it helpful to read what others have written about that section of God’s Word.  This time I turned to Reading the Psalms with Luther (an excellent resource from Concordia Publishing House) and read Luther’s comments:  “The 60th psalm is a psalm of thanks in which David thanks God that He has given him an excellent kingdom in which God’s Word was taught and there was good, orderly government, which truly is a precious jewel.” 

I wondered if Luther was reading the same Psalter I was. 

David begins, “O God, you have rejected us, broken our defenses; you have been angry; oh, restore us.”  That sounds like a cry of pain to me. 

There is a tension throughout this psalm.  On the one hand David is dealing with the reality of God’s righteous anger and punishment of our sin.  On the other hand he holds to God’s Word and Promise and speaks of Israel as God’s people; His “beloved ones.”  Once again we see God dealing with His people through Law and Gospel in His Word. 

There is often a deep gulf between our experiences in this world and the reality of God’s grace.  Paul talks about it in 2 Corinthians when he says, “We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies.”   (4:8-10 ESV)

It is often in our suffering that we begin to see how deep, broad, and high God’s love really is for us.  When things are going well, we can be oblivious to God’s goodness to us.  Ironic, isn’t it? 

David says, “You have made your people see hard things ….”  And that is the way of our life on earth.  But he also says, “You have set up a banner for those who fear you, that they may flee to it from the bow,” and those who would shoot the bow at them!  He places hope before us.  “That your beloved ones may be delivered, give salvation by your right hand and answer us!” 

What is this banner that God has raised for us?  It is none other than the crucified and risen Jesus.  For Jesus, Himself, said, “As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in him may have eternal life.” (John3:14-15 ESV)  In the same vein, He said, “And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself." (John 12:32 ESV)  It is through Jesus that God calls to the world, to you, and to me, to say, “Come to me and I will give you rest from the pain and the sorrows.  You experience rejection because of your sins, but in Me you will find forgiveness, love, welcome, and strength for life.” 

Life is hard.  Make no mistake about it!  However, “With God we shall do valiantly; it is He who will tread down our foes.”  Indeed, He has, by Jesus’ suffering, death, and restoration. 

Father, do not reject me in my sin, but let me always stand by Jesus’ grace as your witness.  Amen. 

Comments