Luke 21

Luke 21


        While people have long memories, we often have small windows from which we see the world.  It is amazing to me that my children cannot comprehend a world without iPods, Nintendo, and hundreds of channels (none of which worth watching) on the television.  When I tell them that we had three channels when I was a child, they just shake their heads.  Of course, when I was a child, I once asked my mom what it was like when the world was black-and-white … because the television shows from her childhood were black-and-white.  (Color television surely always existed, didn’t it?) 
        My point is this:  We seem to think that what is has always been and will always be.  Our lives become the benchmark of time. 
        Jesus has a different vantage point.  Being that He is the one who said, “Before Abraham was, I am,” should give us a clue that His point of view has a much larger scope than our own!  Indeed, He sees (and is present at) the Beginning, the End, and everything in between.  And His message to us in this reading is that there is an End, and there is more than this world and what we see and experience in it.  So don’t place your hope in the things of this world.
        There is only One who has always been, currently is, and always will be, and that is God:  Father, Son and Holy Spirit.  And the Son tells us, “Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.” 
        In a world that is dying, and as time slips away from us, God, in His love for us, gave us something permanent:  His Word.  He speaks to us there, confronts our sins (which are the source of death) and delivers forgiveness to us because the Word became flesh and died on a cross to atone for our guilt, and the Word rose from the dead and gives us eternal life.  God puts His Word in our ears when the Bible is read aloud, touches our eyes with it as we read to ourselves, soaked us with the Word in the Water of Baptism, and feeds us with the Word in the Lord’s Supper.  As the world fails us in so many ways, God gives us His Word – something permanent and unfailing – and invites us to pray.

O God, deliver me from the idea that this world is all there is, and help me to live in Your eternal Word.  In Jesus’ name I pray.  Amen.

Comments