Luke 22



       I was twelve years old the first time I received the Lord’s Supper.  We lined up at the altar railing and waited for Pastor to welcome us, his hands spread and head slightly bowed.  We knelt as an assistant (it was often the principal of our Lutheran day school) walked down the line placing the wafer on our tongues – no hands held out to receive the Host from his hands.  An elder brought the individual cups, and Pastor came last with the chalice and the words, “Take and drink the blood of Christ, shed for you for the forgiveness of your sins.”  I distinctly remember the warm sensation of the wine going down my throat and into my stomach. 
        The Lord’s Supper is a great gift which God has given us by which he delivers Jesus’ body and blood into our mouths in with and under the bread and wine for the forgiveness of our sins.  It is a new covenant with God, one where our sins are atoned for by Jesus, and not be the sacrifice of an animal.  It is a covenant in which we live by grace. 
        This gift is a great treasure, and should be treated as such.  Since the Reformation many sincere and well-meaning Christians – pastors and laity – have argued that this sacred act is merely a symbol by which we remember Jesus, perhaps even that He died and rose for us.  “It is impossible for the finite bread and wine to contain the infinite body and blood of Christ,” they reason, “therefore there is no real presence of Jesus here.”  Yet even reason, when properly humbled, must bow to the clear Word of God:  “This is my body.”  “This is my blood.” 
        It is good and proper to think, wonder, and seek to understand God’s mysteries.  God has blessed with our reason and senses so we may understand His Word and what He teaches us.  But, in our sin, our reason and senses are limited, and there are mysteries that they cannot crack.  It is here, where God’s promises and our understanding collide that we bow our heads and confess, “I don’t understand!”  God’s answer to our complaint is this, “That’s okay.  Take and eat.  Take and drink.  I feed you with My salvation,” and faith receives His gift.

Father, help me learn to trust Your Word and promises, and submit my reason to You, not as a cloak for ignorance or my own preconceived notions, but as one who simply receives the mysteries of Your salvation through faith in Jesus.  Amen.  

Comments