Acts 3

Acts 3


        On one of my trips to Haiti I had the privilege of teaching a group of lay pastors.  Most of them were Lutheran and connected to the pastor we were working with, but there was one, a young man, who had heard that a course was being offered and he came.  Toward the end of the week he was missing from class, which surprised me because he was an active participant.  I found out at the end of the day why he missed. 
        As we were packing up a commotion arose and we saw a procession coming down the road of the village.  At the head of the parade was the young pastor.  They were dancing, shouting, singing, and crying, “Alleluia!”  Soon they had all crowded around me and the man began speaking rapidly, and the interpreter informed me that he was speaking in tongues.  Eventually we gleaned that this young man was saying that God had given him a vision and that I was to take him with me back to the United States where he was to proclaim the gospel to many people. 
        I am afraid that I had to disappoint him.  The thing he wanted, I could not give him. 
        The world often has expectations from God’s people that are really not what we have to offer them.  Much like the beggar that Peter and John healed, our world looks for us to provide social ministry, care for the poor, and relief for physical needs.  Sometimes parents bring their children to church to instill morals, surround their children with positive influence, and to train them to be good.  The church contributes mightily in all these areas and more, but the reality is that these are not the things we have been blessed with to give. 
        The greatest thing we have to give is the message, “Repent therefore, and turn again, that your sins may be blotted out,” because God has given us salvation and new life through the death and resurrection of Jesus.  What greater gift could we offer to anyone than Jesus salvation?  We may get distracted from what God has called us for.  While doing good in this world is important and displays our love for others, God’s forgiveness is what you have received, and that is what you can give in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth. 

Father, thank you for giving Jesus to save me.  Help me share Him so we may experience times of refreshment in Him.  Amen.  

Comments