Acts 24

Acts 24


        Can you imagine Paul, the world-traveler, the missionary who was always on the go, the man who rarely stayed anywhere for long, sitting in prison for two years?  How frustrated do you think he must have been?  How annoyed was he that Felix was hoping for a bribe?  How much did he chafe at being stuck in an unjust situation?  The text doesn’t say, although it does say elsewhere that he had learned to be content in all sorts of situations because of God’s grace (Philippians 4:10-14). 
        Every once in a while someone will quote the axiom, “God’s timing is always perfect.”  It’s a sanctified-sounding way of saying to be patient.  But what do you do when God’s timing is nowhere near your schedule?  How do you feel when you feel you’ve been waiting and waiting and waiting and God seems more than content with where the situation is? 
        While the reminder of patience is good for us, it is not always comforting.  I sometimes resonate with the psalmist, “Hey God, how long do I have to wait?  Have you forgotten me?”  (Psalm 13
        An axiom that I use sometimes is, “God’s timing is God’s timing.”  For me it feels more honest to throw up my hands and say, “I don’t get it.  I don’t like it.  But I’m going to sit here and trust You God.”  We cling to God’s promise in Jeremiah 29:11:  He has a plan.  It is good.  It is rooted in His love and grace.  Don’t believe me?  Look to the cross.  How long did God wait to keep the promise He made to Adam and Eve? 
        Paul is an example of this too.  Jesus promised in Acts 23:11 that Paul would testify about Him in Rome.  It would happen.  But the rolling stone would gather moss for a while before he took that trip.  He would evangelize the governor, his wife, the guards, servants, and anyone else he could in the palace, and he would write letters to his friends in the churches he planted, but he wasn’t going to go anywhere for a while. 
        What is God preparing for you?  Where is He setting the stage to give you the opportunity to share His love?  I don’t know, but as a forgiven follower of Christ you will be ready when God’s time comes.

Father, help me be patient.  When I am not, let me remember that You keep Your promises, especially giving Your Son to die for me.  Amen.  



Comments