Galatians 6

Galatians 6


        Crucifixion is a terrible way to die.  It was extremely painful.  The victim had to pull himself up with nail-pierced hands and push up on punctured feet in order to get a proper breath, otherwise his own weight would slowly cause asphyxiation.  Not only was it painful, though, it was also embarrassing.  This form of capital punishment was designed to add insult to injury.  The victim was usually stripped and hung in a place that people could see, laugh, jeer, and taunt them. 
        The idea that the early Christians made up the stories about Jesus being crucified and raised is ludicrous.  No one of that time would have their hero and God go through such a shameful death.  No Jew would come up with the idea that the Christ, the promised savior, would have to suffer and die to save His people. 
        That is, however, exactly what Jesus did.  Falsely accused, shamefully scorned, unjustly convicted, Jesus was crucified, and in being crucified paid for our sins and won our salvation.  And it is because of this that Paul writes these words that should seem paradoxical.  “But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.” (v. 14)
        There are many things that we would want to claim about Jesus before we thought to boast of His cross.  We could boast he was a great teacher, brag that He did miracles, go on and on about how He flouted cultural conventions, and crow about His care for the castoffs of society.  To do so, however, would miss the point. 
        Jesus, the Son of God and Son of Man, came specifically to die for us.  In baptism we were connected to Jesus’ death.  (Romans 6:3-4)  We received His death as if it were our own and were thereby set free from sin and given a new life; a life that is rooted in Jesus’ resurrection.  This is something to boast about! 
        But wait!  Doesn’t this mean that I must admit that I was unable to save myself?  Am I confessing that I’m a sinner who needed a savior and that I fail and still need forgiveness?  Yes!  And, thanks be to God, there He is!  Look to the crucified and risen one, and boast in Him!

Lord, help me to boast in Your cross as the place of my salvation.  Let me point other to it too so they may believe in You and be saved.  Amen.  

Comments