1 Thessalonians 2

1 Thessalonians 2


        “You are our glory and joy!” 
        How would you feel if someone said that of you?  “You, (INSERT YOUR NAME), are our glory and joy!”  It sounds rather serious, doesn’t it?  There’s something deeper here than, “You are the apple of my eye.”  Or, “You are my sunshine.”  The latter speaks to someone’s affection for another person.  The former speaks to a relationship before God. 
        It is a special and blessed thing to be able to share the Gospel with someone.  To be used by God to share the forgiveness of Jesus’ cross and the hope of His empty tomb is a great honor!  Much like a parent to a child, there is great affection for one who has been born again from the one who testified about Jesus. 
        It is also a special and blessed thing to have someone share the Gospel with you; whether for the first time when you came to faith or later in your faith walk to remind you of God’s love and forgiveness.  As they share God’s Word, they are delivering the power of God to give us God’s compassion and new life.  There is gratitude and affection for the one who testified about Jesus from the one who has been born again. 
        What a privilege it is to serve as a Sunday School teacher, a VBS helper, a scripture reader, and as a witnesses at work, school, and/or home!  In my own life I think of many who shared God’s Word, both Law and Gospel, with me and I thank God for them because they were His hands, feet, and voice to create faith in me so I can receive the eternal life Jesus won.  Such people are worthy of love, honor and respect! 
        The other side of that relationship is one that doesn’t get explored too often.  What a joy it is for a teacher to hear a child learning to speak the Lord’s Prayer.  How great is the happiness of a Bible study leader when a student articulates God’s grace!  What pride arises when a parent sees her child walking in the faith!  How incredible it is to hear someone say for the first time, “I believe in Jesus and I want to be baptized!”  Have no doubt; you are their joy and glory!

Lord, give me more joy and glory as people come to know you through me, that You may be glorified and have joy in me.  Amen.

Comments