1 Thessalonians 3

1 Thessalonians 3


        People like being comfortable.  I do.  I bet you do, too.  However, being comfortable is not always what is best for us.  I find exercise to be uncomfortable, but I do it because my body needs it.  School is often uncomfortable for students – they have to sit, study, work, and learn – yet none of us would say that is a bad thing! 
        However, there seems to be an impression that being a Christian should be comfortable.  People want worship services that are entertaining, make them feel good, and last one hour (or less).  New churches are often designed with stadium seating (with a cup holder for your morning java) and theater lighting for the comfort of the parishioners.  Many expect sermons and teaching to tell them how to be happy, prosperous, successful … in short:  comfortable. 
        Contrast those desires to Paul’s message to the Thessalonians.  “For when we were with you we kept telling you beforehand that we were to suffer affliction, just as it has come to pass, and just as you know.” 
        Suffer?  Afflictions?  No thanks! 
        But, what if suffering and afflictions are tools that God uses to strengthen our faith and harden our resolve to follow Him by driving us to the Word, prayer, and dependence on Him?  What if God allows persecution, hardship, and discomfort in order that we might find real comfort in Him? 
        Over the years, I have heard folks say, “Nothing good comes from suffering.”  This is not true.  We do well to remember that it was by Jesus’ suffering that God redeemed us.  Many Christians have suffered for the testimony of Christ crucified, risen and returning, and God has used it to grow His church.  Certainly He can use our suffering to strengthen our faith, to wean us from the world, and to provide a witness to the world through us. 

Lord Jesus, I like being comfortable.  Help me to not fear suffering for Your name’s sake.  Let Your work be done in and through my life.  Amen.  

Comments

Anonymous said…
I really do wish I had not been so completely "weaned from the world ". I thank God daily for the Internet!
Joy Dill (not anon.)