Hebrews 8



        One of the “inconveniences” of living in a city that is far from your home is that it’s harder to get information on your favorite sports teams.  As a Detroit Red Wings fan, living in St. Louis during the mid-90’s also meant that if I was going to watch hockey, it’d be a division rival. 
        A strange think happens when you watch a rival team, you start to respect its players.  One player in particular was a guy named Brett Hull.  Hull was the captain of the St. Louis Blues, and he was an incredible skater, shooter, and scorer.  I loved watching him play.
        I remember watching the news one morning and it was announced that Hull was no longer going to play for the Blues.  I was stunned!  How could this be?  Instead, he had been picked up by my Red Wings.  Imagine my joy!  We had Hull!
        That, on a very minor level, is like the message of Hebrews 8; except instead of a team Captain, now were talking about the one who delivers God’s forgiveness and salvation to us.  Rather than a high priest who must offer sacrifices that merely copy a heavenly reality, we have Jesus!  We have the real thing! 
        Jesus’ sacrifice overthrows the earthly high priesthood because His sacrifice establishes a new covenant – a whole new relationship with God.  Instead of looking for forgiveness through multiple offerings of blood from animals burnt on an altar, we are cleansed by Jesus’ blood shed once on the cross for us.  His resurrection shows that His sacrifice was so much superior to the blood of rams, goats, bulls and pigeons. 
        The reason for this new covenant?  God says through His prophet Jeremiah that it is because, “they did not continue in my covenant.”  But when Israel broke the first covenant God did not give up.  His love for people is so great that He set that broken covenant aside and put something better, stronger, in its place.  In this covenant we know God, not through His righteous acts, nor His glorious creation, but through His grace.  “For I will be merciful toward their iniquities, and I will remember their sins no more.” 

Father, did you simply forget all I have done against you?  No!  You gave me Jesus to take my sins away, and they are gone.  Thank you!  Amen.

Comments